Israel Says It Has Proof That Syria Has Used Chemical Weapons

Started by jimmy olsen, April 24, 2013, 02:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:37:22 PM
Not necessarily. That is precisely what we managed to prevent in Iraq and Afghanistan.
There wasn't genocide in Iraq but there was a lot of ethnic cleansing while we were there.

And I oppose arming the rebels. I can't think of a reason good enough to justify invading Syria :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 08:45:20 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:37:22 PM
Not necessarily. That is precisely what we managed to prevent in Iraq and Afghanistan.
There wasn't genocide in Iraq but there was a lot of ethnic cleansing while we were there.

And I oppose arming the rebels. I can't think of a reason good enough to justify invading Syria :blink:

I'd trade the lives of the 4,000 odd Americans for what ever we did in Iraq anytime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 08:27:44 PM
This is a civil war, which are almost always worse than any other kind of war and that's awful.
Once again America stands superior to the rest of the world :smugface:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 07:36:42 PM
I've never been sold on the 'secular liberal rebels'. Even if there were any they'd all be shouting Salafi slogans because the people with money are the Saudis and Qataris.

There's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Of course if we don't support and leave the field entirely to the Salafi powers, the rebels will tilt in that direction.  That's not an argument for staying out.  That's an argument for intervening big if we actually care about helping shape opinion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2013, 10:23:04 AM
Can opinion be shaped much either way, though?

Yes, this worked for the fascists and communists in spain. It worked for the kurds in iraq as well.

The very act of making somebody dependent on us will shape their opinion.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 05, 2013, 10:15:37 AMOf course if we don't support and leave the field entirely to the Salafi powers, the rebels will tilt in that direction.  That's not an argument for staying out.  That's an argument for intervening big if we actually care about helping shape opinion.
It's not an argument for staying out, I'm just dubious about the idea that this started as a 'secular liberal' uprising and they got killed first. If there were ever any significant 'secular liberal' elements within the rebels I imagine they've been radicalised by conflict and by the need to get Saudi and Qatari arms.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2013, 10:48:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 08:27:44 PM
This is a civil war, which are almost always worse than any other kind of war and that's awful.
Once again America stands superior to the rest of the world :smugface:
:blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2013, 10:33:06 AM
Yes, this worked for the fascists and communists in spain. It worked for the kurds in iraq as well.

It worked to a very limited degree for the communists because Republican officers quickly learned they wouldn't get promoted or receive supplies for their units if they didn't join the party.  The West would not have the same levers in Syria.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2013, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2013, 10:33:06 AM

It worked to a very limited degree for the communists because Republican officers quickly learned they wouldn't get promoted or receive supplies for their units if they didn't join the party.  The West would not have the same levers in Syria.

Of course we could. We would just have to be willing to stop the supply of arms if they don't behave. If anything we would prevent the process going the wrong way in favour of the salafists.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2013, 10:54:09 AM
Of course we could. We would just have to be willing to stop the supply of arms if they don't behave. If anything we would prevent the process going the wrong way in favour of the salafists.

And they would stroke their beards, shout Allahu ackbar, and laugh in our faces while brandishing their Saudi supplied weapons.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2013, 11:01:36 AM

And they would stroke their beards, shout Allahu ackbar, and laugh in our faces while brandishing their Saudi supplied weapons.

Our weapons are cooler, deadlier, bigger and require a regular supply of parts and maintenance.

Plus, if anything we can run drones for information and hellfires.

Sheilbh

Every group in Syria is committing war crimes on a daily basis. Our guys would just stop?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2013, 10:44:43 AM
I'm just dubious about the idea that this started as a 'secular liberal' uprising and they got killed first. If there were ever any significant 'secular liberal' elements within the rebels I imagine they've been radicalised by conflict and by the need to get Saudi and Qatari arms.

There's a decent amount of space between "secular liberal" and "radical salafi"
Where one falls within that space matters.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 05, 2013, 10:15:37 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 07:36:42 PM
I've never been sold on the 'secular liberal rebels'. Even if there were any they'd all be shouting Salafi slogans because the people with money are the Saudis and Qataris.

There's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Of course if we don't support and leave the field entirely to the Salafi powers, the rebels will tilt in that direction.  That's not an argument for staying out.  That's an argument for intervening big if we actually care about helping shape opinion.

We should just go in and fire all the Ba'athists.  That'll work.