Israel Says It Has Proof That Syria Has Used Chemical Weapons

Started by jimmy olsen, April 24, 2013, 02:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 08:06:45 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:02:22 PM
Let Iran and Russia destroy Syria fighting through their proxies?
Not just Iran and Russia: Turkey, Saudi and Qatar are joining in. But, short of a very good reason to intervene, then I think that's the best choice for us.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 08:12:57 PM
Can't see the picture.

It's the Dachau Denkmal, a slab at the Dachau KZ with the words "Never Again" written in French, English, German and Russian.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

It's not like we're affected if Syria devolves into a dozen warring potentates.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2013, 08:19:41 PM
It's not like we're affected if Syria devolves into a dozen warring potentates.

We will be blamed no matter what happens.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:19:28 PM
It's the Dachau Denkmal, a slab at the Dachau KZ with the words "Never Again" written in French, English, German and Russian.
Okay. So the compelling reason is hyperbole? I mean unless you're saying that but for Western non-intervention in the Spanish Civil War, WW2 and the Holocaust wouldn't happen.

This is a civil war, which are almost always worse than any other kind of war and that's awful. However given where we are in the West, especially financially, and given the sides involved I don't think there's a strong reason for us to intervene in any way. I think that's the least bad option and the need to 'do something!' is one of the worst compulsions in politics, because it normally means 'do anything' rather than actually working out what's in your interests.

I would add stopping genocide would, in my view, be a strong enough reason to intervene. But a bloody, messy civil war isn't a genocide.

QuoteWe will be blamed no matter what happens.
Who cares? I mean seriously this is the worst sort of reason to do anything serious.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2013, 08:27:44 PM
I would add stopping genocide would, in my view, be a strong enough reason to intervene. But a bloody, messy civil war isn't a genocide.
And really, there's going to be wholesale slaughter of defeated ethnic groups no matter who wins.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:19:28 PM
Okay. So the compelling reason is hyperbole? I mean unless you're saying that but for Western non-intervention in the Spanish Civil War, WW2 and the Holocaust wouldn't happen.

This is a civil war, which are almost always worse than any other kind of war and that's awful. However given where we are in the West, especially financially, and given the sides involved I don't think there's a strong reason for us to intervene in any way. I think that's the least bad option and the need to 'do something!' is one of the worst compulsions in politics, because it normally means 'do anything' rather than actually working out what's in your interests.

QuoteWe will be blamed no matter what happens.
Who cares? I mean seriously this is the worst sort of reason to do anything serious.

The same basic logic does apply when evil is abroad, and evil is abroad in syria. It can barely get much worse and we will be blamed for what happens regardless. We might as well make sure that the winners feel they have to pander at least a few of our needs rather than actively oppose us.

It wasn't the genocide angle I was referring to but rather the promise of never again. A mass murder is happening in Syria and there will be a repeat of Hama on a larger scale if the Assadites win and the Alawites, Christians and other minorities will be massacred if the Bin Ladinites win. I'd much rather that any group less evil than those two wins, or at least holds a balance of power.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2013, 08:34:37 PM
And really, there's going to be wholesale slaughter of defeated ethnic groups no matter who wins.

Not necessarily. That is precisely what we managed to prevent in Iraq and Afghanistan.

11B4V

We didnt stop it in Rwanda or in Bosnia for example. So what it says on that monument is a farce to make us feel good.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:36:46 PM

The same basic logic does apply when evil is abroad, and evil is abroad in syria. It can barely get much worse and we will be blamed for what happens regardless. We might as well make sure that the winners feel they have to pander at least a few of our needs rather than actively oppose us.

It wasn't the genocide angle I was referring to but rather the promise of never again. A mass murder is happening in Syria and there will be a repeat of Hama on a larger scale if the Assadites win and the Alawites, Christians and other minorities will be massacred if the Bin Ladinites win. I'd much rather that any group less evil than those two wins, or at least holds a balance of power.

And we want to be a party to that why?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:37:22 PM
Not necessarily. That is precisely what we managed to prevent in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm sure the girls and women of Afghanistan are thankful for delaying the inevitable for them.

Neil

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2013, 08:34:37 PM
Nobody's going to be occupying Syria.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2013, 08:42:15 PM

I'm sure the girls and women of Afghanistan are thankful for delaying the inevitable for them.

We should just invade countries and take all their women, and leave the men.

No blood for harems?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 08:36:46 PMThe same basic logic does apply when evil is abroad, and evil is abroad in syria. It can barely get much worse and we will be blamed for what happens regardless. We might as well make sure that the winners feel they have to pander at least a few of our needs rather than actively oppose us.
You lost me at 'evil'.

But I think there needs to be a reason to intervene. This boils down to 'might as well'.

QuoteIt wasn't the genocide angle I was referring to but rather the promise of never again. A mass murder is happening in Syria and there will be a repeat of Hama on a larger scale if the Assadites win and the Alawites, Christians and other minorities will be massacred if the Bin Ladinites win. I'd much rather that any group less evil than those two wins, or at least holds a balance of power.
In all honesty the sides of this war make me less keen to intervene, but even if there was a side we would support I'm not sure we should intervene. There'd still need to be a very good reason to do so, especially given our financial situation. But when you find this Quiet American-ish 'third force' and they can come up with some reasons why we should intervene then maybe we should.

But at the minute you want to intervene, just because, and on behalf of a group that don't actually exist.

Edit: Incidentally I hope Obama has the sense to avoid being bounced into action by the UK and France on this. Libya was enough.
Let's bomb Russia!