Israel Says It Has Proof That Syria Has Used Chemical Weapons

Started by jimmy olsen, April 24, 2013, 02:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Well, he's got a point: we don't know if it's been pro-Assad forces or rebels.  We can suspect, but we can't confirm just yet. 

And chain of custody in this context is all about empirical determination of fact, you Benghazitards.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 10:36:07 AM
President may be too weaselly about this.  We shall see.  If if he still futzing about with evidentiary standards a month from now, then US credibility will take a hit.

70,000 are already dead.  I don't think credibility is an issue anymore.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 10:38:02 AM
President may be too weaselly about this.  We shall see.  If if he still futzing about with evidentiary standards a month from now, then US credibility will take a hit.

70,000 are already dead.  I don't think credibility is an issue anymore.

Yeah, but who cares?  These assholes deserve each other.  If intervened we'd be trying to kill them.  Much cheaper for them to kill each other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 10:24:47 AM
Hey, check this out.  From the president's press conference:

You gotta admit, I scored a rare point there.  GIVE ME MY DUE
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 10:37:02 AM
Well, he's got a point: we don't know if it's been pro-Assad forces or rebels.  We can suspect, but we can't confirm just yet. 

And chain of custody in this context is all about empirical determination of fact, you Benghazitards.

I think you're missing my point.  I mentioned the absence of a chain of custody the other day and Joan took exception to it. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 10:44:00 AM

You keep assuming I am 100% for Obama, when in fact it is closer to 93.4%   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 10:52:00 AM

Not even that-- just that I called "chain of custody" ahead of time.

But yeah, it is also one of those rare neat little events where I'm pretty much on the president's side and you're not.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 11:00:09 AM

It was in the story that Jimmy posted just before.
But I'll take your word you didn't see it there and give you credit for indepedent discovery.  You can be the Alfred Russel Wallace of Syrian skepticism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 11:06:49 AM

Damn.  I don't read Tim's articles for the most part.  We dealt with chain of custody a lot when I worked for a DNA lab, so that's why it came to mind.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 11:06:49 AM

But I'll take your word you didn't see it there and give you credit for indepedent discovery.  You can be the Alfred Russel Wallace of Syrian skepticism.

Be careful with that Wallace reference. Wallace is in an old tradition of scientists having a couple of good ideas and then spending the rest of their careers on nonsense like Pauling with his silly idea that Vitamin C cured cancer, Newton focused on alchemy, Einstein on Crust slippage Wallace spent most of his career after gaining fame and non-fortune studying spiritualism alongside the likes of Arthur Conan Doyle.

Then again, this might be the best analogy to Timmay yet.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 10:52:00 AM

But yeah, it is also one of those rare neat little events where I'm pretty much on the president's side and you're not.

Again, my prediction is that the US would find a way of not getting involved in any significant way even if it could be proved beyond any reasonable doubt.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Or whether it's Assad, or a local commander. The latter's actually more worrying but doesn't necessarily lead to a big intervention.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

What's the Bayesian prior on Assad vs. rebels?
One has a known existing stockpile of such weapons, and known means and instrumentalities of employing them.  The others do not. 
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Apparently, the Jews just bombed stuff in Syria related to possible chemical weapons launch facilities.