News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 11:54:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2013, 05:56:15 PM
Anyone who insists on calling all fizzy wine champagne can't be 100% snob.

Yeah, but it's so incongruent with the sheer volume of pretension our good friend normally affects, that one can't help but be amused  :bowler:

Well I think I'm entirely consistent in that regard. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2013, 10:39:31 AMWell I think I'm entirely consistent in that regard. :)

Fair enough - we can count on you being miltantly downmarket and unsophisticated on the subject of of commestibles... except, perhaps, fancy cocktails?

Admiral Yi

I think the way to make sense of Grab On's thinking Yakie, is that things that are associated with places he identifies with are good, and things from other places are not good.

California and NYC are cool, therefore Napa Valley sparkling wine rocks.  America is cooler than the rest of the world, therefore American cheese is acceptable.

fhdz

I like the phrase "militantly downmarket".
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2013, 10:52:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2013, 10:39:31 AMWell I think I'm entirely consistent in that regard. :)

Fair enough - we can count on you being miltantly downmarket and unsophisticated on the subject of of commestibles... except, perhaps, fancy cocktails?

That seems to suggest that I'm prejudiced in the opposite way, that if it wasn't downmarket - I wouldn't enjoy it. My point was that I'm more open-minded in that area which probably stems from all the years where I was very selective about what I'd eat.

@Yi - I think that would be a mistake. At least as far as wine/"sparkling wine" is concerned - I consume more from South America/Italy/Spain. I don't think I "identify" with any of those places more than California.

And of course, I recognize that American cheese has nothing in common with its more illustrious cousins but that doesn't mean it can't serve a purpose.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

I'm a lot like garbon in respect to food - capable of enjoying both highbrow and lowbrow and capable of telling the difference. Mine's a fairly omnivorous palate.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2013, 12:18:07 PM
@Yi - I think that would be a mistake. At least as far as wine/"sparkling wine" is concerned - I consume more from South America/Italy/Spain. I don't think I "identify" with any of those places more than California.

Consumption is generally a private act.  I'm talking about public utterances.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2013, 12:23:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2013, 12:18:07 PM

Consumption is generally a private act.  I'm talking about public utterances.

I don't think that's true. A lot of consumption is in public.  Now if "public" here just means utterances on Languish maybe true as I don't think I generally source the originating countries of activities or consumables*.

*which dovetails nicely into my general use of the word champagne.

Ed Anger

Quote from: fahdiz on May 04, 2013, 12:20:57 PM
I'm a lot like garbon in respect to food - capable of enjoying both highbrow and lowbrow and capable of telling the difference. Mine's a fairly omnivorous palate.

I eat Taco Bell.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 04, 2013, 04:06:09 PM

I eat Taco Bell.
:yuk:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on May 04, 2013, 04:28:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 04, 2013, 04:06:09 PM

I eat Taco Bell.
:yuk:

I get sick of burgers when I'm doing my rounds. It's different.

Ed Anger

Plus I steal their napkins and mild sauce packets.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger