News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

fhdz

Believe it or not, there are grades of quality with American cheese as well, ranging from stuff that's mostly oil :yuk: to stuff that's more or less :D cheese.

When it's decent, it can be pretty good. One of its best qualities is that it melts very well, unlike a lot of cheddars.
and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

Yep. There is good American cheese. But people usually associate it with Kraft Singles which are...not actually cheese.

It was created specifically for the purpose of melting on cheeseburgers.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Ok, so when you guys say "American cheese", what you mean is anything from real cheddar cheese to something which isnt at all?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 03, 2013, 11:43:02 AM
Yep. There is good American cheese. But people usually associate it with Kraft Singles which are...not actually cheese.

It's not like it is hard to melt cheddar on your burger...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

There is only ONE acceptable use for American cheese, and that is as topping for a Philly cheesesteak (though I generally prefer provolone myself).  NO OTHER use of American 'cheese' is acceptable. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 11:47:20 AM

Yeah, but the texture it takes is less desirable. It gets oily. Or at least was thought to be so when they decided to create American.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 03, 2013, 11:59:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 11:47:20 AM

Yeah, but the texture it takes is less desirable. It gets oily. Or at least was thought to be so when they decided to create American.

I havent noticed that.  After the burgers are finished on the grill I shave some pieces of cheddar off a block and let them melt.  Nothing oily about it.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 12:01:12 PM
I havent noticed that.  After the burgers are finished on the grill I shave some pieces of cheddar off a block and let them melt.  Nothing oily about it.
I notice it if you let the cheese start to solidify again, but not freshly melted.

Re: American cheese, I think one of the biggest culture shocks coming down here was the willingness to completely debase the national name like that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on May 03, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 12:01:12 PM
I notice it if you let the cheese start to solidify again, but not freshly melted.

Ah, that is never a problem around my house. :D

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on May 03, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
Re: American cheese, I think one of the biggest culture shocks coming down here was the willingness to completely debase the national name like that.

I think our cuisine is generally not know for being highbrow (though we certainly have highbrow sorts).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 11:45:25 AM
Ok, so when you guys say "American cheese", what you mean is anything from real cheddar cheese to something which isnt at all?

I guess yeah. I mean some of that depends on where you put Colby in relation to Cheddar but yeah it does cover cheese to cheese product.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.