News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Ideologue

I've given history, English, etc. a lot of shit over the past few days/weeks/years/the eons that we've coexisted uneasily together.  I don't think the fedgov should be in the business of sending people to school for such nonsense, let alone sticking them and taxpayers with the debt while transferring wealth to socially parasitic school administrators and professors.  I've also made it a point that I believe that history, literature, and so forth are hobbies; indeed, involving learning fewer marketable skills than most other hobbies do.  However, I think they probably have some small part to play in the basic education of our youth, if not our adult children, except for the ones getting teaching degrees in some lame subject like poetry, political science, or loserology.  It is up to the almighty State to destroy the redundant programs by turning off their money.

What say you?  Is there any reason to still teach people this crap?

P.S. languages I am not counting as liberal arts, as they involve actual skills training.  Archaeology and anthropology... maybe, maybe not.  Those are kind of real sciences, but I know little enough about their quality to say if they're worthless degrees or digging shit up and poking monkeys involves any economic value added.  But feel free to jump to your own conclusions!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Dude, you so have to get over your hang ups over your education.  It's reaching Raz heights.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 09:58:29 PM
Dude, you so have to get over your hang ups over your education.  It's reaching Raz heights.

Oh, go on.  Next week I'll have a new hang up.  Let this one breathe and live its life to its fullest till I forget about it and get really excited about mystery novels from the 1920s or something.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I proposed something similar earlier: remove all government financial aid and loans and loan guarantees for majors that are not immediately marketable.  Let rich kids take humanities.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2013, 10:14:54 PM
I proposed something similar earlier: remove all government financial aid and loans and loan guarantees for majors that are not immediately marketable.  Let rich kids take humanities.

:)

I'd say that if Yi and I basically agree on a position, it means it must be unambiguously right, only slightly less hard fact than the statements "the sky is blue" and "bears shit in the woods."
Kinemalogue

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2013, 10:14:54 PM

What's determines what is marketable and what isn't?

Jacob

You are narrow minded and foolish. I hope you grow out of it one day.

Voted: hahaha

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 10:30:12 PM

:unsure:

People getting jobs in their fields shortly after graduation.

At salaries sufficient to repay loans.

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on April 17, 2013, 10:39:01 PM
You are narrow minded and foolish. I hope you grow out of it one day.

Voted: hahaha

As I knew you must.  Well met.
Kinemalogue

11B4V

You should have went to ITT Tech.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2013, 10:42:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 10:30:12 PM

:unsure:

People getting jobs in their fields shortly after graduation.

At salaries sufficient to repay loans.

So... what would that be right now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017