News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2013, 12:27:12 AM
Ide, imagine a generation growing up without being force fed basic humanities knowledge. Then imagine them raising children. Their children raising more children. Do you think that society has gotten better or worse in the interim?
See a generation growing up without being force fed the body and blood of Christ. :(

fhdz

The original - classical - intent of the liberal arts education was to give citizens the necessary skills to be active participants in civic life. Marketability is good, but entering the workforce/having a trade/etc is only one aspect of being a citizen.

My feeling is that you cannot (aside from some outliers who tend to prove the rule) achieve this goal without educating people in the sciences and the humanities.
and the horse you rode in on

Richard Hakluyt

"Marketable skills" will vary almost beyond recognition in the lifetime of people who live for 80 years in a fast-changing society. Far better to properly educate people so that they can deal with anything that comes up than turn them into ideal corporate servants for a particular moment of time.

fhdz

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2013, 12:42:12 AM
"Marketable skills" will vary almost beyond recognition in the lifetime of people who live for 80 years in a fast-changing society. Far better to properly educate people so that they can deal with anything that comes up than turn them into ideal corporate servants for a particular moment of time.

:yes: Exactly this.

One of the problems with liberal arts *colleges* in particular these days is that many will allow a humanities major to escape school with barely any training in math or the sciences. That's no good. But it's no good to produce STEM drones either.

Phillip V

You want to build up people's character and wisdom so that they are resilient and adaptable to changing circumstances? How do I create a standardized test for that? :wacko:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 18, 2013, 12:36:46 AM
Besides which, the other alternatives of the government steering kids into certain programs are just too unappealing for a democratic society.

Don't have to worry about that, Mr. Santorum;  things like cutting Work Study Programs, Opportunity Grants and eventually Pell Grants are some of the other alternatives of the government steering kids into no programs at all.

fhdz

Quote from: Phillip V on April 18, 2013, 12:45:28 AM

You want to build up people's character and wisdom so that they are resilient and adaptable to changing circumstances? How do I create a standardized test for that? :wacko:

:D

Antifragile citizens - that's the ultimate goal of a proper liberal arts education :contract:

Camerus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2013, 12:47:17 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 18, 2013, 12:36:46 AM
Besides which, the other alternatives of the government steering kids into certain programs are just too unappealing for a democratic society.

Don't have to worry about that, Mr. Santorum;  things like cutting Work Study Programs, Opportunity Grants and eventually Pell Grants are some of the other alternatives of the government steering kids into no programs at all.

Yeah, on that, I probably should have specified "the government steering kids into certain programs in the manner suggested by some in this thread"... obviously grants and whatnaught currently exist and can be a good thing.

MadImmortalMan

Don't most countries that pay for college give out scholarships based on what the economy needs?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 12:40:48 AM
The original - classical - intent of the liberal arts education was to give citizens the necessary skills to be active participants in civic life. Marketability is good, but entering the workforce/having a trade/etc is only one aspect of being a citizen.

My feeling is that you cannot (aside from some outliers who tend to prove the rule) achieve this goal without educating people in the sciences and the humanities.

Fahdiz is 100% right.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

We need to teach people liberal arts so they don't start idiotic threads like this that make them look like fucking retards.

Martinus

Ide is a proof that once a redneck, always a redneck. Education begins at home. If it's not there, then anything else is a waste of time and money.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2013, 02:29:09 AM
Ide is a proof that once a redneck, always a redneck. Education begins at home. If it's not there, then anything else is a waste of time and money.

You know what rednecks are notorious for?  Advocating for a greater emphasis on hard science and mathematical education.

It's so cute when you try to understand America.  Or anything.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on April 18, 2013, 02:43:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2013, 02:29:09 AM

You know what rednecks are notorious for?  Advocating for a greater emphasis on hard science and mathematical education.

It's so cute when you try to understand America.  Or anything.

No, you are an uneducated hick that cannot understand the benefits of liberal arts education because you got none. This is not a nationality thing. It is a class thing and it works the same across the globe.

Kids who are not introduced to classical music when they are young, will rarely appreciate it when they are old - same goes for a lot of things in life - you are the best example of that.

Camerus

FWIW, I can't begin to describe how happy I am that I attended a school system that trained me in Shakespeare, western history, Plato and critical thinking, rather than a system that molded me into an IT office worker or a sheet metal cutter.   :)