News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2013, 11:23:40 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 11:16:32 AM
Since you used the term I would have expected that you would know what it meant.

Obviously. Also subsequent posts do show it is food snobbery (apparently mixed with ignorance) so suck it.

Garbon accusing someone else of snobbery.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2013, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 03, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
Re: American cheese, I think one of the biggest culture shocks coming down here was the willingness to completely debase the national name like that.
I think our cuisine is generally not know for being highbrow (though we certainly have highbrow sorts).

It's not that it's not highbrow. It's that it's not actually food. There's a part of the American identity that we're solid, genuine and dependable if a bit rough around the edges. Processed cheese product (and many other ubiquitous products) is the opposite of that.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2013, 11:51:43 AM
There is only ONE acceptable use for American cheese, and that is as topping for a Philly cheesesteak (though I generally prefer provolone myself).  NO OTHER use of American 'cheese' is acceptable. :)
Holy shit.  YOU are going food snob on us?  I mean, I can understand cc.  His pathetic attempts to be snobby are almost Martinusian, but that's what he does these days.  But you're a fan of gas station food, for heaven's sakes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on May 03, 2013, 01:29:23 PM
It's not that it's not highbrow. It's that it's not actually food.

Sure it is.  Vegetable oil and food coloring.  That's food.

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on May 03, 2013, 02:29:44 PM
There is only ONE acceptable use for American cheese, and that is as topping for a Philly cheesesteak (though I generally prefer provolone myself).  NO OTHER use of American 'cheese' is acceptable. :)
Holy shit.  YOU are going food snob on us?  I mean, I can understand cc.  His pathetic attempts to be snobby are almost Martinusian, but that's what he does these days.  But you're a fan of gas station food, for heaven's sakes.

Cal's very select. Only eats out of the finest dumpsters.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2013, 02:37:20 PM
Sure it is.  Vegetable oil and food coloring.  That's food.
At best it's a condiment.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on May 03, 2013, 02:29:44 PM

Just because he likes cheap junk food doesn't mean he doesn't have taste buds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Sometimes cheap food is good. A lot of the classic gourmet dishes were developed by poor people trying to make good food out of less desirable things and make their existing food stores last longer. Ex: Charcuterie of all types, cassoulet, BBQ, etc.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on May 03, 2013, 01:28:40 PMGarbon accusing someone else of snobbery.   :hmm:

I know, it's pretty amusing. I always thought he was more self-aware than that.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on May 03, 2013, 01:29:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2013, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 03, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
Re: American cheese, I think one of the biggest culture shocks coming down here was the willingness to completely debase the national name like that.
I think our cuisine is generally not know for being highbrow (though we certainly have highbrow sorts).

It's not that it's not highbrow. It's that it's not actually food. There's a part of the American identity that we're solid, genuine and dependable if a bit rough around the edges. Processed cheese product (and many other ubiquitous products) is the opposite of that.

In your opinion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 04:07:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 03, 2013, 01:28:40 PMGarbon accusing someone else of snobbery.   :hmm:

I know, it's pretty amusing. I always thought he was more self-aware than that.

Oh this is solely on food (or I guess consumables to include things like wine). I've never been snobby on that front. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Anyone who insists on calling all fizzy wine champagne can't be 100% snob.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 12:27:00 PM
figures :rolleyes:

Remember, Knead it.

Also the MRE peanut butter makes a good ingrediant for a heat tab.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2013, 05:56:15 PM
Anyone who insists on calling all fizzy wine champagne can't be 100% snob.

Yeah, but it's so incongruent with the sheer volume of pretension our good friend normally affects, that one can't help but be amused  :bowler:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 11:54:30 PM
Yeah, but it's so incongruent with the sheer volume of pretension our good friend normally affects, that one can't help but be amused  :bowler:

Oh hells yeah.