News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 04:55:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2013, 04:37:44 PM
That America is a blighted nation where many jobs don't pay a living wage.

Reading comprehension motherfucker, do you have it?

What do you mean by admit?  Have I tried to sustain the illusion that a person working minimum wage can support a family of four in comfort and style?

Nope.

But it is within your purview to pretend it isn't a problem that anyone should do anything about.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2013, 05:10:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 04:55:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2013, 04:37:44 PM
That America is a blighted nation where many jobs don't pay a living wage.

Reading comprehension motherfucker, do you have it?

What do you mean by admit?  Have I tried to sustain the illusion that a person working minimum wage can support a family of four in comfort and style?

Nope.

But it is within your purview to pretend it isn't a problem that anyone should do anything about.

I mean don't people always like to spend money they don't have? If it isn't 4 kids, it's a big screen plasma or a cadillac.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2013, 04:54:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2013, 04:50:13 PM
Aren't people still living who make those wages? :hmm:

Depends on your definitions.

Well certainly not by garbon standards.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Nope.

I've never pretended people should do nothing about it.  Specifically, if you have a family to support you should look for a job that pays more.  If you just want more walking around money, look for a job that pays more.

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on April 29, 2013, 05:12:54 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2013, 04:54:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2013, 04:50:13 PM
Aren't people still living who make those wages? :hmm:

Depends on your definitions.

Well certainly not by garbon standards.
Damn him and his demands for refrigerated Cheddar!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 05:14:13 PM
Nope.

I've never pretended people should do nothing about it.  Specifically, if you have a family to support you should look for a job that pays more.  If you just want more walking around money, look for a job that pays more.

Great plan.  If you aren't making enough to support a family where are you going to find a job that pays more these days?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Nope.

Yet I'm the one with unrealistic economic ideology. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 29, 2013, 05:20:45 PM
Nope.

Great plan.  If you aren't making enough to support a family where are you going to find a job that pays more these days?

One avenue is to work under the table (thus showing no income) and then claim benefits like welfare, food stamps, disability, free phone, etc.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2013, 05:21:18 PM

Finding a job is no fucking fun.  Being unemployed sucks ass.  Being in a low paying job sucks ass.  Having a family you can't support sucks ass.

But look at the alternative you are suggesting.  Have the courage of your convictions and see if legally mandating that each and every job in the US pay "a living wage" would have the effects you intend.

This is the part of the discussion when Captain Occupy wigs out and throws together some random slogans.  Don't be that guy.

Neil

Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2013, 02:38:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2013, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 02:31:10 PM
Fun factoid:  every single Mickey D's CEO has started out as a grunt and climbed the ranks.

That's actually really cool.
It is. Makes it kind of a shame that they're in bed with all the companies who are completely assfucking our food supply.
I don't think the supply of food is in any danger.  There's a ton of fatness going around.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 05:32:34 PM
This is the part of the discussion when Captain Occupy wigs out and throws together some random slogans.  Don't be that guy.

When he throws a review of Elvis' Kid Galahad on you, then you'll be sorry.

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2013, 05:21:18 PM

Finding a job is no fucking fun.  Being unemployed sucks ass.  Being in a low paying job sucks ass.  Having a family you can't support sucks ass.

But look at the alternative you are suggesting.  Have the courage of your convictions and see if legally mandating that each and every job in the US pay "a living wage" would have the effects you intend.

I don't think you'd notice a dime's worth of difference if every job in the U.S. started paying at least $10-12 an hour tomorrow.  OK, maybe about a dime per purchase.  I wouldn't hurt, would you?

In the medium-term, however, we need to start thinking about how to transition from the job = life paradigm that cannot function in a society with billions of redundant human beings.  But a significant increase in the minwage would be a concrete step to a better, less unequal society that we could take today.

It may also help to address the lack of aggregate demand our late-stage capitalism is experiencing--that certainly makes more sense than the idea that lower taxes will increase growth.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2013, 06:28:28 PM

When he throws a review of Elvis' Kid Galahad on you, then you'll be sorry.

^_^
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2013, 06:39:13 PM
I don't think you'd notice a dime's worth of difference if every job in the U.S. started paying at least $10-12 an hour tomorrow.  OK, maybe about a dime per purchase.  I wouldn't hurt, would you?

And you came to this prediction how again?

First of all, you chose an hourly wage that's already close to a lot of state minimum wages.  But if you were to really increase the minimum wage, I think the increase would be much more than a dime a purchase.  Cost of labor is the biggest input for a lot of markets.  You can't increase the price of your most significant input by a substantial amount and not expect to see any increase in output price.

Why do you think a Happy Meal costs $8 in the UK?  Why do you think a medium pizza costs $20 in Denmark?