News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2013, 11:41:48 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 11:26:57 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 11:25:06 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 11:19:15 AM
Since apprenticeships in the trades have considerably dried up, seeing as many corporations find themselves unwilling to train, employers are beginning to demand vocational education requirements instead. This, in my opinion, makes some of those degrees artifically more valuable than they actually are. Learning about electricity is good, right, and proper. Learning about it on the job is what makes you a good electrician.
This is one of the election issues in our province - how to reinvigorate trades training in the workforce.  Everyone agrees it needs to be done.  I am not clear on the details of how anyone will actually do it though.
It seems to me that a time of massive unemployment would be a really good time to introduce some sort of apprenticeship credit program to employers...there are lots of people looking to make a change right now, and lots of people fed up with desk job life.
Wouldn't it make more sense to go the other way and charge large tax penalties to employers who hire people with college degrees?

:D No, not in the sense of actually investing in the improvement of trades. Remember - a lot of those people who want jobs in the trades these days are fed up because their degrees aren't buying them what they thought they'd buy them.

And perhaps those folks with "useless" humanities degrees might have the critical thinking skills to enable them to be great tradesmen as opposed to good tradesmen.
and the horse you rode in on

The Larch

I shudder to think how living in a world full of engineers might be.

fhdz

Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2013, 12:02:07 PM

Everything nonliving functions properly and no one can look anyone else in the eye. :D

The Larch

Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 12:03:08 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2013, 12:02:07 PM

Everything nonliving functions properly and no one can look anyone else in the eye. :D

Or make small talk with strangers.  :P

fhdz

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 18, 2013, 03:28:43 AM
FWIW, I can't begin to describe how happy I am that I attended a school system that trained me in Shakespeare, western history, Plato and critical thinking, rather than a system that molded me into an IT office worker or a sheet metal cutter.   :)

Right. Eventually sheet metal is replaced by flubber and you have to start over. If you've been a sheet metal cutter who has a rounded education starting over *should* be a whole lot easier.

Phillip V

Since apprenticeships in the trades have considerably dried up, seeing as many corporations find themselves unwilling to train, employers are beginning to demand vocational education requirements instead. This, in my opinion, makes some of those degrees artifically more valuable than they actually are. Learning about electricity is good, right, and proper. Learning about it on the job is what makes you a good electrician.

This is one of the election issues in our province - how to reinvigorate trades training in the workforce.  Everyone agrees it needs to be done.  I am not clear on the details of how anyone will actually do it though.

Most parents and students surveyed think all that is important. But when asked if they want to do it or want their children to do it (blue collar work), most then say "hell no!" :rolleyes:

MadImmortalMan

I don't think any of us should be allowed to decide what kids should and shouldn't study.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: Phillip V on April 18, 2013, 12:50:11 PM
Most parents and students surveyed think all that is important. But when asked if they want to do it or want their children to do it (blue collar work), most then say "hell no!" :rolleyes:

I'm encouraging Jak to look for work as a farm hand right now. He eventually wants to go into Agricultural Engineering, so I told him to spend some time actually working with the tools of the trade before he bothers going to school to try to make them.

He may decide that he likes the farm work more, and I'd be okay with that, too. Ultimately, all that matters to most parents is that our kids are happy with what they do, and that what they do will pay the bills with a little extra.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

That is one of the reasons it is important to have those sorts of training programs within the workplace.  Once people get past high school and understand everyone cant be a /fill in the blank/ they can turn their minds to what makes more sense in terms of long term jobs that pay well.  The trades then become an obvious choice.  But if trades training is only offered through vocational institutions then they have a less value.  Partly because of the point you raise.

MadImmortalMan

I could hook Jak up if he wants to move to Ohio.

Does he like pigs?  :P

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 01:02:50 PM

That is one of the reasons it is important to have those sorts of training programs within the workplace.  Once people get past high school and understand everyone cant be a /fill in the blank/ they can turn their minds to what makes more sense in terms of long term jobs that pay well.  The trades then become an obvious choice.  But if trades training is only offered through vocational institutions then they have a less value.  Partly because of the point you raise.

:yes:

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2013, 12:55:38 PM
I don't think any of us should be allowed to decide what kids should and shouldn't study.

Well typically such sweeping and revolutionary sociological changes are decided upon by lunatics, so if anyone should decide it's me.                         
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2013, 01:06:27 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2013, 12:55:38 PM

Well typically such sweeping and revolutionary sociological changes are decided upon by lunatics, so if anyone should decide it's me.                       

I'm cool with that.

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2013, 01:03:18 PM
I could hook Jak up if he wants to move to Ohio.

Does he like pigs?  :P

He likes bacon; does that count? :unsure:

Doubt he's going to want to move to Ohio, though. I mean, seriously.. who does?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...