News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

mongers

I have never once used my bachelors degree in any capacity whatsoever, though then again it didn't cost me a dime.  :bowler:  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2013, 08:12:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2013, 06:36:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2013, 02:24:03 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2013, 08:46:51 AM
Ide, at the risk of poking the bear, if you step back for a moment, aren't you better off with your education? You have an office job that pays reasonably well. I know it isn't a dream job, but do you really think you would be happier as a welder?

Opportunity costs are hard to measure.  It was not unlikely I'd be in a restaurant management capacity, however, earning $10,000-20,000 a year more and with further opportunities for advancement.  I'm not doing poorly, but remember I'm a temp and there is vanishingly little chance for permanent employment, let alone true stability and forget real advancement, in doc review.

And that's my $65,000 + living expenses professional degree.  The only reason I earned more money after I got my history degree is I started waiting tables at a higher price-per-plate restaurant.

$65k, in the grand scheme of a lifetime, is not a lot of money. Servicing the debt on that is probably less than $200 a month.

No.  $65k + living expenses.  And it's about $1000 on a normal ten year schedule, which I obviously do not keep.  I guess it depends on what you mean by "service."  I "service" my debt on IBR in the mid-hundreds (dunno why I'm coy about my income, since market for doc review in Columbia is easily googleable, but at least it'll keep Tim from knowing :lol: although as part of my quasi-promotion I do make somewhat above market).  But that "service" takes a very long time, and indeed on a monthly basis comes very close to negating the difference between working as a waiter and working as a coder, at least on an hourly basis--I guess my law degree lets me work 50 hour weeks.  Thanks FLSA exemptions! :D

And, yes, that means that if I were paying $1000 a month, I'd effectively be making significantly less than a decent waiter who works 4/5 the hours, and probably free or heavily discounted food.

I thought the term would be a lot longer than 10 years...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

I think to repay in 25 it'd be like $600.  Never looked into it.

I wish the government would lend me $100,000 to buy a house.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2013, 09:37:56 PM

Why the government in particular?
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Unsure as to the purpose of the question.  Who do you think gives almost all educational loans?

But anyway, a bank probably isn't. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

So I was a bit off anyway...30 years and 3.4% (a google of interest rates) would give a bit under 300 with 65k of debt.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

No, my interest rates are not 3.4%.
Kinemalogue

OttoVonBismarck

I'll loan you $100,000 at 5%. But if you miss two consecutive payments I will have you killed.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2013, 11:00:47 PM

My mortgage rate is 3.25%.  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2013, 07:56:35 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 07:10:26 PM
How much is $200 a month in your earliest earning years going to be worth if invested and compounded over your career?

Who the fuck invests $200/month of their earliest earnings?

Hypothetical kids. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2013, 09:40:59 AM

My mortgage rate is 3.25%.  :hmm:

Well, I'm sure that is very fine for you.
Kinemalogue

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

The Brain

Can I rant about liberal arts? Don't care much about rates.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Well, I figured you could refinance, but after googling it seems there are challenges with refinancing student loans...So at this point I will just admit I was wrong about everything and carry on...  :D

Ide, if you had it all to do over again, what would you do? Skip college to focus on a career in restaurants?