Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2013, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2013, 12:02:29 PM
Sounds like entire Boston is shut down due to the manhunt.  Surreal.
Hopeful they can take him alive.

I'm not sure I want that.  I think we're piecing together his background and will have a good idea of his motivation.  Just give him the bin Laden treatment & get it over with.

You want to let him hide in Pakistan compound for a decade!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

OttoVonBismarck

I'm starting to think he must have slipped the initial closing of the noose around Watertown and possibly slipped out of Boston in another stolen car.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 01:49:20 PM
The brother's corpse was pretty wrecked. There is a photo floating out there. One of the wounds is a strange slash up his left ribcage that sort of peeled off a thick chunk of skin and meat exposing the cavity. Maybe a grazing hit from a very high-powered rifle could make that wound, but it looks a bit baffling.

Well, the doc at Beth Israel said there was indications of an explosives wound.
Doesn't mean it was the IED he was wearing;  could've been one of those shot-just-as-he-pulled-the-pin-on-the-grenade-and-was-about-to-toss-it-and-oops injuries.

Somebody link that shit for me, please.  I have to Terry Shiavo that shit myself from here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 02:08:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2013, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 01:53:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/massachusetts-bombers-profiles/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Sounds almost impossible that these could be the people who did this - is it ever the case that the perp is THAT normal and seemingly adjusted to everyone prior to something like this?

iirc some if not many of the people that took part in the 9/11 attack were also seemingly well adusted.

Yeah, but once we learned a little about them, it was obvious they were professional terrorists endeavoring to seem perfectly normal. These two don't seem like pros who were faking being normal people.

Yes and no.  They all started out as normal people nobody would ever suspect as being capabable of such horrific acts.  Then they became radicalized.

As JR pointed out that is probably the pattern here with the older brother being the influence on the younger.

fyi here is a helpful article about the 9/11 hijackers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/28/AR2005042801315.html

QuoteThey were not born to be soldiers -- none seems to have come from a military background -- and there was little in their early lives to suggest that they would become what they did. The pilot of the first plane to hit the World Trade Center, Atta, came from "an ambitious, not overtly religious middle-class household in Egypt" and had led "a sheltered life" until he arrived in Hamburg, Germany, in 1992 to do graduate study in architecture. The pilot of the second plane, Marwan al-Shehhi, was an amiable, "laid-back" fellow from the United Arab Emirates who had joined the UAE army, "not the world's most effective fighting force but one of its most generous, paying [its scholarship] students monthly stipends of about $2,000," which may have been his primary reason for enlisting; this enabled him to go to Hamburg, though there is little evidence that he "had any serious scholarly ambitions."

Hani Hanjour, the Saudi pilot who flew American Airlines flight 77 into the Pentagon, "had lived in the United States off and on throughout the 1990s, mostly in Arizona, intermittently taking flying lessons at several different flying schools." He was, in the view of one of his flight instructors, "intelligent, friendly, and 'very courteous, very formal,' a nice enough fellow but a terrible pilot." He finally got a commercial license from the FAA but was unable to find work here or in the Middle East. As for Ziad Jarrah, the pilot of the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania, he was "the handsome middle child and only son of an industrious, middle-class family in Beirut," a "secular Muslim" family that "was easygoing -- the men drank whiskey and the women wore short skirts about town and bikinis at the beach."

DGuller

I bet the advertising execs at Mercedes are giddy right now.  What better way to advertise the toughness of their SUVs than having a guy crash through the police cordon with it and get away?

OttoVonBismarck

IHOP is way better than Denny's or Cracker Barrel. I don't know about Waffle House, I have very fond memories of eating there but they all involved me being three sheets to the wind. I'm not actually aware of what it tastes like sober.

And when you say Tudor's are you guys talking about that place I only see in WV/KY when I'm driving down I-64 that specializes in biscuit sandwiches where the biscuit tastes like it's cooked with 4 lbs of butter? I'm pretty sure that place is so horrifically unhealthy it should have been shut down by DHHS years ago.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 01:49:20 PM
The brother's corpse was pretty wrecked. There is a photo floating out there. One of the wounds is a strange slash up his left ribcage that sort of peeled off a thick chunk of skin and meat exposing the cavity. Maybe a grazing hit from a very high-powered rifle could make that wound, but it looks a bit baffling.

Well, the doc at Beth Israel said there was indications of an explosives wound.
Doesn't mean it was the IED he was wearing;  could've been one of those shot-just-as-he-pulled-the-pin-on-the-grenade-and-was-about-to-toss-it-and-oops injuries.

Somebody link that shit for me, please.  I have to Terry Shiavo that shit myself from here.

https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/status/325300950686367745/photo/1

Graphic warning: redundant
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

QuoteKadyrov said any blame lay at the feet of the United States. "It's all America's fault because these kids were brought up in America, not Chechnya," he said, according to Kommersant newspaper.

Stay classy, Ramzan.

The nuke from orbit option is looking ever more tempting.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Unless it's .50BMG that hit him at an angle I don't think that's a bullet wound.  Do see some other, smaller, entry wounds though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Should I merge this with the bombing thread, since they have complete overlap now?

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 19, 2013, 02:21:51 PM
QuoteKadyrov said any blame lay at the feet of the United States. "It's all America's fault because these kids were brought up in America, not Chechnya," he said, according to Kommersant newspaper.

Stay classy, Ramzan.

The nuke from orbit option is looking ever more tempting.

It's not exactly out of character for him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2013, 02:14:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 02:08:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2013, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 01:53:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/massachusetts-bombers-profiles/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Sounds almost impossible that these could be the people who did this - is it ever the case that the perp is THAT normal and seemingly adjusted to everyone prior to something like this?

iirc some if not many of the people that took part in the 9/11 attack were also seemingly well adusted.

Yeah, but once we learned a little about them, it was obvious they were professional terrorists endeavoring to seem perfectly normal. These two don't seem like pros who were faking being normal people.

Yes and no.  They all started out as normal people nobody would ever suspect as being capabable of such horrific acts.  Then they became radicalized.

Right, no argument - but they DID become radicalized.

I don't see anything so far in what we've seen about these two (and of course infomration at this point is incomplete) that suggests they went off somewhere and got radicalized.

Contrast, for example, the Columbine kids. They were not "radicalized", but when you look at their history, you can see (at least in hindsight) that they were a mess.

The Sandy Hook nutjon, when you look back at him, you think "Yeah, that dude was fucking nuts".

You look back at these two, and...nothing so far. Nothing there that indicates they would be people capable or interested in doing something like this.

They don't seem like fundy islamists, and they don't seem like marginalized nutjobs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 19, 2013, 02:26:36 PM
Should I merge this with the bombing thread, since they have complete overlap now?

This thread is about breakfast foods.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers