News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

And you don't know if he was hit or not in the shootout.  Could be doing a Tim Roth in an empty warehouse somewhere with a gut shot.

MadImmortalMan

The brother's corpse was pretty wrecked. There is a photo floating out there. One of the wounds is a strange slash up his left ribcage that sort of peeled off a thick chunk of skin and meat exposing the cavity. Maybe a grazing hit from a very high-powered rifle could make that wound, but it looks a bit baffling.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 01:49:20 PM
The brother's corpse was pretty wrecked. There is a photo floating out there. One of the wounds is a strange slash up his left ribcage that sort of peeled off a thick chunk of skin and meat exposing the cavity. Maybe a grazing hit from a very high-powered rifle could make that wound, but it looks a bit baffling.

He had an IED strapped to his chest. Couldn't that have done it?

EDIT: Not to mention his brother running over him to get out of the area...
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/massachusetts-bombers-profiles/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Sounds almost impossible that these could be the people who did this - is it ever the case that the perp is THAT normal and seemingly adjusted to everyone prior to something like this?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 19, 2013, 12:42:01 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2013, 12:36:35 PM
Or stay home and eat the breakfast of the 1%, Toaster Studel.

Seedy just stopped in the middle of shampooing a cat, looked up, and screamed.

No shit.  I felt a disturbance in the 47%.

And Denny's?  Fuck that shit.  If there's no CrackaBarrel around, gimme an IHOP.   or Der Waffen Haus.

I miss them.  :(
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2013, 12:02:29 PM
Sounds like entire Boston is shut down due to the manhunt.  Surreal.
Hopeful they can take him alive.

I'm not sure I want that.  I think we're piecing together his background and will have a good idea of his motivation.  Just give him the bin Laden treatment & get it over with.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on April 19, 2013, 01:50:44 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 01:49:20 PM

He had an IED strapped to his chest. Couldn't that have done it?

EDIT: Not to mention his brother running over him to get out of the area...
I don't think it went off, and I would imagine it would make a less distinct mush.  I'm not a doctor, but it doesn't look like anything more than a skin and maybe some muscle is gone.  It could just be from being shot by a rifle.  It could even be from a surgery, if the doctors actually tried to do anything other than confirm the death.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 01:53:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/massachusetts-bombers-profiles/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Sounds almost impossible that these could be the people who did this - is it ever the case that the perp is THAT normal and seemingly adjusted to everyone prior to something like this?

iirc some if not many of the people that took part in the 9/11 attack were also seemingly well adusted.

Legbiter

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2013, 01:50:22 PM
I can't believe he got away.  Sounded like he was surrounded.

Yeah, guy's got like six wanted stars on the GTA scale.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on April 19, 2013, 02:02:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2013, 01:50:22 PM
I can't believe he got away.  Sounded like he was surrounded.

Then I guess we need to send in the tanks. 

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Legbiter on April 19, 2013, 02:02:50 PM

Can't be.  National Guard hasn't sent in tanks yet.

The Minsky Moment

The older brother seemed to be treading water.

The younger - CRLS is a very good public school - lots of prof kids go there.  He got a scholarship, was attending a decent university, no odd incidents, plenty of friends.
If I had to guess I would stick with my suspicion that older brother (who was acting in loco parentis here) led younger brother down the wrong path.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 19, 2013, 02:05:01 PM

The older brother seemed to be treading water.

The younger - CRLS is a very good public school - lots of prof kids go there.  He got a scholarship, was attending a decent university, no odd incidents, plenty of friends.
If I had to guess I would stick with my suspicion that older brother (who was acting in loco parentis here) led younger brother down the wrong path.
Sounds like a good call.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2013, 02:01:01 PM

iirc some if not many of the people that took part in the 9/11 attack were also seemingly well adusted.

Yeah, but once we learned a little about them, it was obvious they were professional terrorists endeavoring to seem perfectly normal. These two don't seem like pros who were faking being normal people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned