If near half of the world GDP is hidden in tax havens, what are we arguing about

Started by Martinus, April 10, 2013, 01:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on April 10, 2013, 12:46:20 PM
it's nowhere near as bad as that, these numbers comes from hippie "think" tanks, where think is optional.  The only credible story I've read on this, based on credible numbers, put the amount at 4,6 trillion $ in 2007.  You can't really have more money invested in fiscal paradise than there are money in banks all accross the world, that just makes no sense.
I thought it came from the leaks about off-shore banking?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2013, 07:39:49 AM
Avoiding taxes isn't really theft though.  Hell, even evading taxes isn't really theft.

True.  Theft should be punished with restitution and perhaps a beating.  Evading taxes is treason, and should be punished by execution.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on April 10, 2013, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2013, 01:41:29 AM
So, this thread was inspired by an article I read recently (unfortunately, only in print). According to estimates, up to $32 trillion of assets is stacked away in tax havens. This is nearly half of the global GDP (which is around $75 trillion).

We spend hours discussing the failures of the welfare state, whether to raise or decrease taxes etc. but at the end of the day, does it even matter if the uber-class simply does not play by the same rules as everyone else?
it's nowhere near as bad as that, these numbers comes from hippie "think" tanks, where think is optional.  The only credible story I've read on this, based on credible numbers, put the amount at 4,6 trillion $ in 2007.  You can't really have more money invested in fiscal paradise than there are money in banks all accross the world, that just makes no sense.

Than you factor in a marginal tax rate of 35% accross OCDE countries, wich nets you 1,6 trillion $, assuming 100% of this money has never been declared.  Still a huge sum of money.  But then, you go with the money each country would get, assuming equal proportion as their share of the world's GDP (it's a stretch, but let's use it).  You get some really low numbers.  Something that covers the deficit for one year in a country like Canada.

And then you submit a sample of real data to people who study these sort of things, and you get even lower numbers.  We're talking 7 billion$ for Canada and all its provinces.  Still a lot of money?  Well, Quebec's current (real) deficit will be 8 billion$ this year.  That's a yearly deficit, not a debt. 

So even if we were able to tax all that money this year, we wouldn't cover our yearly deficit.  And people still use that excuse to avoid any kind of wellfare state reform.

If we were to do that maths, seriously, for any OCDE countries, I think we'd reach similar conclusions.

And of course, there is the matter of the legality of these sums of money.  It's easy to imagine filthy rich US billionaires evading their tax, but the reality is that a lot of this money would belong to criminal organization and their people.  Even if you eliminate all tax loopholes, "Al Queida of America Inc." is not going to file tax reports every year on its international operation.

And if we eliminate those fiscal paradise with 0% corportate taxes, will the business declare their tax were they pay 35% income tax or were they pay 12%?  In the end, some countries will get more tax revenues, but probably not the one the left assume.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2013, 05:39:23 PM
I thought it came from the leaks about off-shore banking?
Well, I haven't seen the numbers for all countries.  But for all of Canada, they estimate it at 7 billion$ lost, for all provinces&the federal government.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 10, 2013, 06:57:23 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Quebec's deficit for this year, the real one, not the PQ fake estimate with bogus accounting, will be 8 billion$.  Quebec alone.

For all of Canada, 7 billion$ were lost in taxes from revenues hidden in tax haven.

Please, tell me how it will solve all our problems and pay for the new expenses the left wants?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

frunk

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2013, 10:10:40 AM
Quebec's deficit for this year, the real one, not the PQ fake estimate with bogus accounting, will be 8 billion$.  Quebec alone.

For all of Canada, 7 billion$ were lost in taxes from revenues hidden in tax haven.

Please, tell me how it will solve all our problems and pay for the new expenses the left wants?

So if you found out that $7 billion was being scammed out of unemployment insurance you'd be ok with that?

viper37

Quote from: frunk on April 11, 2013, 10:15:27 AM

So if you found out that $7 billion was being scammed out of unemployment insurance you'd be ok with that?
I never said I was ok.

But if I found 7 billion$ was being scammed out of unemployment insurance, it wouldn't change my stance on it, I wouldn't push for an increase in payement to unemployed workers, I wouldn't relax the conditions to receive these payments and I would still fight against the culure of dependance it has created on some group of workers where it is "due" to them.

Zanza

So, this thread was inspired by an article I read recently (unfortunately, only in print). According to estimates, up to $32 trillion of assets is stacked away in tax havens. This is nearly half of the global GDP (which is around $75 trillion).

We spend hours discussing the failures of the welfare state, whether to raise or decrease taxes etc. but at the end of the day, does it even matter if the uber-class simply does not play by the same rules as everyone else?
Are you doing your part now? Or are you still proud that thanks to some legal trick you pay much less relative income tax than the average Polish worker?

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2013, 10:57:11 AM

Are you doing your part now? Or are you still proud that thanks to some legal trick you pay much less relative income tax than the average Polish worker?
Polish state repeatedly refuses to recognize same sex unions. Thus, as a second class citizen, I don't feel obliged to pay first-class taxes.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 11:07:02 AM
Polish state repeatedly refuses to recognize same sex unions. Thus, as a second class citizen, I don't feel obliged to pay first-class taxes.

Ah, the age old excuse of the tax dodging hypocrite.  If the State would only do what you think it should then you would pay more taxes but until then you will compain if others dont.

Put this one on the vast pile of your double standards.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2013, 11:09:34 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 11:07:02 AM

Ah, the age old excuse of the tax dodging hypocrite.  If the State would only do what you think it should then you would pay more taxes but until then you will compain if others dont.

Put this one on the vast pile of your double standards.

Not really. I pay much higher taxes anyway than I would have if I was married to my partner and we benefited from the same taxation scheme as married couples. We also cannot benefit from many other tax breaks. It's not about the state doing what I think it should, but about the state putting me in a worse position, tax-wise, specifically because of my sexual orientation.

Admiral Yi

Where did you get this number from?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2013, 11:12:28 AM

Where did you get this number from?

Whenever picking a number between 1 and 10 the answer should always be 7.  The real question is why he thought the range was between 1 and 10.

Grey Fox

Finding 7 billion in lost revenu is nice. I do not think that deficit is a problem.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2013, 11:56:19 AM

Finding 7 billion in lost revenu is nice. I do not think that deficit is a problem.

:wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.