If near half of the world GDP is hidden in tax havens, what are we arguing about

Started by Martinus, April 10, 2013, 01:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2013, 11:09:34 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 11:07:02 AM
Polish state repeatedly refuses to recognize same sex unions. Thus, as a second class citizen, I don't feel obliged to pay first-class taxes.

Ah, the age old excuse of the tax dodging hypocrite.  If the State would only do what you think it should then you would pay more taxes but until then you will compain if others dont.

Put this one on the vast pile of your double standards.

Not really. I pay much higher taxes anyway than I would have if I was married to my partner and we benefited from the same taxation scheme as married couples. We also cannot benefit from many other tax breaks. It's not about the state doing what I think it should, but about the state putting me in a worse position, tax-wise, specifically because of my sexual orientation.

But you wouldn't be married anyway...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2013, 12:06:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2013, 11:56:19 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2013, 10:10:40 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 10, 2013, 06:57:23 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Quebec's deficit for this year, the real one, not the PQ fake estimate with bogus accounting, will be 8 billion$.  Quebec alone.

For all of Canada, 7 billion$ were lost in taxes from revenues hidden in tax haven.

Please, tell me how it will solve all our problems and pay for the new expenses the left wants?

Finding 7 billion in lost revenu is nice. I do not think that deficit is a problem.

:wacko:

The accounting of a government is all lies anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2013, 10:57:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2013, 01:41:29 AM
So, this thread was inspired by an article I read recently (unfortunately, only in print). According to estimates, up to $32 trillion of assets is stacked away in tax havens. This is nearly half of the global GDP (which is around $75 trillion).

We spend hours discussing the failures of the welfare state, whether to raise or decrease taxes etc. but at the end of the day, does it even matter if the uber-class simply does not play by the same rules as everyone else?
Are you doing your part now? Or are you still proud that thanks to some legal trick you pay much less relative income tax than the average Polish worker?
:face:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2013, 11:56:19 AM
Finding 7 billion in lost revenu is nice. I do not think that deficit is a problem.

That certainly explains your voting preferences.

Zanza

So, this thread was inspired by an article I read recently (unfortunately, only in print). According to estimates, up to $32 trillion of assets is stacked away in tax havens. This is nearly half of the global GDP (which is around $75 trillion).

We spend hours discussing the failures of the welfare state, whether to raise or decrease taxes etc. but at the end of the day, does it even matter if the uber-class simply does not play by the same rules as everyone else?
Are you doing your part now? Or are you still proud that thanks to some legal trick you pay much less relative income tax than the average Polish worker?
Polish state repeatedly refuses to recognize same sex unions. Thus, as a second class citizen, I don't feel obliged to pay first-class taxes.
Wouldn't it be more consequential to stop the tax privileges of married couples instead of just adding another privileged group to the tax break?

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2013, 02:00:47 PM

Wouldn't it be more consequential to stop the tax privileges of married couples instead of just adding another privileged group to the tax break?
Yes, but until either happens I do not feel obliged to pay my dues.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 02:04:49 PM

If they do will you pay back taxes, or are you just the worst sort of scum?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

That's a lie and you know it, faggot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2013, 05:12:11 PM

If they do will you pay back taxes, or are you just the worst sort of scum?

Back? No. But I will start paying according to a sliding scale.

Martinus

Anyways, my accountant just sent me my 2012 tax statement and I paid US$38,000 in direct (income) taxes alone so that's enough for a second class citizen, I think.

Razgovory

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Maybe Poland really isn't so bad, if it takes away enough of Martinus' money to buy a shitty house or a nice car every year.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2013, 11:12:28 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2013, 10:10:40 AM
For all of Canada, 7 billion$ were lost in taxes from revenues hidden in tax haven.

Where did you get this number from?
Media coverage of the fiscal-leaks.  One report on French CBC (Enquête, April4th), they showed the data to a fiscality teacher from the HEC (Hautes Études Commerciales) in Montreal, they evaluated based, on this sample, the sum to be 7billion$ for all Canadian jurisdiction, if everything was illegal.

For the sake of discussion in this forum, I assume their study was valid, them having the original data and me not having it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.