New "whore pill" for the US ( und der Spieß ?)

Started by Duque de Bragança, April 05, 2013, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:36:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

If that's the case, we should open the floodgates & make a bunch of other stuff available without prescription.

Help me out here. Which of those do you feel warrants a prescription?

Not sure I understand what you're asking.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:37:41 PM

You said that the side effects warrant a prescription. I gave a stated list of side effects, none of which seem very bad to me. You implied that they are still a concern. So, I'm asking you which side effects do you feel are bad enough to warrant the necessity of a prescription.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Btw, I think nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, constipation and dizziness are common side effects of many OTCs, so I'd pull those from the list.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:39:49 PM

You said that the side effects warrant a prescription. I gave a stated list of side effects, none of which seem very bad to me. You implied that they are still a concern. So, I'm asking you which side effects do you feel are bad enough to warrant the necessity of a prescription.

They're all more severe than stuff I've taken that does require a prescription.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 01:45:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:42:08 PM
I don't have any ethical problem with the pill's availability, but it seems like it ought to require a prescription given the side effects. 

Which on some level would defeat the emergency piece.

At any rate - it appears the change here is that now girls 16 and younger can get it without a prescription.  Is the ID part being removed as well? Wasn't sure.

But she can't buy booze until she's 21.  Like that's not arbitrary.

derspiess

But let's back up for a second.  Don't these pills work sort of like taking multiple dosages of birth control pills?  Those still require a prescription, don't they?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:45:34 PM

What stuff?

I ask because though you may not have suffered worse from a prescription, the potential for worse may have been there. That doesn't appear to be the case here. As I said, that list of side effects is the same list of side effects for having a heavy menstrual cycle, ie they're normal for women.

So I'm trying to understand which side effects are causing you concern; enough so that you'd restrict a medication from someone who needs it without a doctor's approval.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:48:06 PM
But let's back up for a second.  Don't these pills work sort of like taking multiple dosages of birth control pills?  Those still require a prescription, don't they?

They are a strong dose of hormone therapy, which is similar to taking certain types of birth control pills, yes. However, the reason that birth control pills are prescription is to require that women get a yearly check up. No check up; no renewal of your prescription.

There are also some side effects with some pills based on life-style choices, like smoking, that require additional blood tests. Those pills, however, use a combination of hormones, not the single shot that the Plan B pill uses.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 02:43:48 PM
Btw, I think nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, constipation and dizziness are common side effects of many OTCs, so I'd pull those from the list.

From the opinion:

"Neither drug [Plan B or Plan B One-Step] has any known serious or long-term side effects, though they may have some mild short-term side effects, such as nausea, fatigue, and headache."

So nothing more than many OTCs.

Further in the opinion: 

"[T]he likelihood of unsafe use or misuse with respect to levonorgestrel-based emergency contraceptives is extremely low, and much lower than the dangers of misuse of common over-the-counter medications that are known to be abused by minors and adults, even though these drugs cause hundreds of deaths every year in the United States."

(laxatives and acetaminophen, primarily).

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:50:26 PM

What stuff?

I ask because though you may not have suffered worse from a prescription, the potential for worse may have been there. That doesn't appear to be the case here. As I said, that list of side effects is the same list of side effects for having a heavy menstrual cycle, ie they're normal for women.

So I'm trying to understand which side effects are causing you concern; enough so that you'd restrict a medication from someone who needs it without a doctor's approval.

:rolleyes:  Never mind.  This is obviously a touchy issue for you.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:56:07 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:50:26 PM

What stuff?

:huh:

What part of the above makes you think so? I'm trying to understand your reluctance to making this medication available OTC. You have made a comment that doesn't fit with the known issues. So, I'm asking you to clarify.

Where did I seem "touchy"? :unsure:

merithyn

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:52:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:48:06 PM

They are a strong dose of hormone therapy, which is similar to taking certain types of birth control pills, yes. However, the reason that birth control pills are prescription is to require that women get a yearly check up. No check up; no renewal of your prescription.

There are also some side effects with some pills based on life-style choices, like smoking, that require additional blood tests. Those pills, however, use a combination of hormones, not the single shot that the Plan B pill uses.

I'll add to this that the long-term effects of continued use of hormone therapy is a major concern. This does not apply to the Plan B, since it's a two-dose application as opposed to the every day use of the Pill.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 01:35:51 PM
Pretty sure it will be overturned.

What basis would there be for overturning this, do you think?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:57:44 PM
:huh:

What part of the above makes you think so? I'm trying to understand your reluctance to making this medication available OTC. You have made a comment that doesn't fit with the known issues. So, I'm asking you to clarify.

Where did I seem "touchy"? :unsure:

You're always touch on women's issues.  But fine, no prescription then.  No consultation or anything.  If it's non-prescription, then hopefully I'll at least not have to share the cost through my group health insurance plan.

You win this one, Meri.  But I'm not budging on the chorizo front.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:56:07 PM

You're retreating because the side effect argument was proven false?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.