New "whore pill" for the US ( und der Spieß ?)

Started by Duque de Bragança, April 05, 2013, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

http://www.france24.com/en/20130405-us-judge-morning-after-pill-prescription

QuoteUS judge orders 'morning-after' pill available without prescription

The 'morning-after' emergency contraceptive pill must be made available to girls of all ages without prescription, a US federal judge ordered on Friday as part of a lawsuit brought by reproductive-rights groups.
By News Wires (text)

A federal judge on Friday ordered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to make the "morning-after" emergency contraception pill available without a prescription to all girls of reproductive age.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Edward Korman in Brooklyn, New York, comes in a lawsuit brought by reproductive-rights groups that had sought to remove age and other restrictions on emergency contraception.

Currently, only women age 17 or older can obtain emergency contraception pills without a prescription. Point-of-sale restrictions require that all women present identification to a pharmacist before obtaining the drug.

In his ruling, Korman said the FDA's rejection of requests to remove age restrictions to obtain the pill had been "arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable."

Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, hailed the ruling. "Women all over the country will no longer face arbitrary delays and barriers just to get emergency contraception," she said.

FDA spokeswoman Erica Jefferson declined to comment on the ruling, saying it was an ongoing legal matter.

This has been available for quite a while in France and other countries. Big news 15 or 20 years ago, I don't remember exactly.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 05, 2013, 01:26:59 PM
This has been available for quite a while in France and other countries. Big news 15 or 20 years ago, I don't remember exactly.

Did you read what has changed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

derspiess

I don't have any ethical problem with the pill's availability, but it seems like it ought to require a prescription given the side effects. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:42:08 PM
I don't have any ethical problem with the pill's availability, but it seems like it ought to require a prescription given the side effects. 

Which on some level would defeat the emergency piece.

At any rate - it appears the change here is that now girls 16 and younger can get it without a prescription.  Is the ID part being removed as well? Wasn't sure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 01:45:13 PM

Right, which is unfortunate.  What's your opinion?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:48:16 PM

Well are any of the issues cause by it worse than other OTCs?

I guess you could always take some sort of pseudophedrine route.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 02:16:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:48:16 PM

Well are any of the issues cause by it worse than other OTCs?

I guess you could always take some sort of pseudophedrine route.

From what I've read, yes. 

Given the immediacy thing I suppose in lieu of a prescription I'd be okay with some sort of mandatory consultation where the pharmacist goes over the side effects to make sure the patient or whatever is aware of them. 

merithyn

WebMD has these as side effects:

Potential side effects of Plan B or Plan B One-Step include:

nausea
abdominal pain
fatigue
headache
menstrual changes
dizziness
breast tenderness
vomiting
diarrhea

None of those seem serious enough to me to warrant a prescription. They're just stronger symptoms than a regular menstrual cycle.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:28:07 PM

Any links? From what I quickly checked didn't see anything major. 

Given the immediacy thing I suppose in lieu of a prescription I'd be okay with some sort of mandatory consultation where the pharmacist goes over the side effects to make sure the patient or whatever is aware of them. 

Seems rather unnecessary though. Of course, I've never been a big fan of spending more time at a pharmacy then you have to.

merithyn

If they're sold OTC, the side effects will be required on the packaging. How will consulting with a pharmacist be different than reading them on the box?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:32:28 PM

WebMD has these as side effects:

Potential side effects of Plan B or Plan B One-Step include:

nausea
abdominal pain
fatigue
headache
menstrual changes
dizziness
breast tenderness
vomiting
diarrhea

None of those seem serious enough to me to warrant a prescription. They're just stronger symptoms than a regular menstrual cycle.

If that's the case, we should open the floodgates & make a bunch of other stuff available without prescription.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

If that's the case, we should open the floodgates & make a bunch of other stuff available without prescription.

Help me out here. Which of those do you feel warrants a prescription?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

If they're sold OTC, the side effects will be required on the packaging. How will consulting with a pharmacist be different than reading them on the box?

I doubt she'd bother reading them.  She's likely in some (understandable) state of panic & wants to take that magic pill that keeps her from getting pregnant.