United States' first food forest to be built in Seattle

Started by merithyn, April 04, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 11:38:07 AM
I was trolling kat  :secret:

You tricked me with the 2nd post. I thought as much with the first one but then your second one seemed so earnest. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 12:09:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 11:38:07 AM
I was trolling kat  :secret:

You tricked me with the 2nd post. I thought as much with the first one but then your second one seemed so earnest. :blush:

I suppose I was fairly serious with that one.  Chipotle is my favorite burrito place around here, mostly because of the fresh ingredients.  Burritos at local authentic Mexican places just don't taste as fresh. 

Mind you, I've had better than Chipotle in other areas.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 09:11:41 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 09:04:24 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 08:58:56 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 05, 2013, 08:55:26 AM
LOL, gringos lump all spics as mexicans, what a surprise.

I asked my older foster sister about the chorizo thing. She thought it was Mexican, too. Then she and I looked it up, and apparently, Spanish chorizo and Mexican chorizo are very different, at least as she and I know them. And "chorizo" appears to just mean sausage, which makes sense that they're different depending on which country you're talking about.

Still not exclusively Mexican, sorry :contract:

:huh:

I know. That's what the bolded part was saying. I didn't understand that the word chorizo meant sausage in Spanish, rather than that it was a specific dish in Mexican cuisine. (FWIW, my sister was the same.) Now we both know. :)

Chorizo doesn't mean sausage.

derspiess

If Meri didn't eat salchicha, it doesn't exist.

Okay, I'll stop now :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Will the Seattle hippy food forest have chorizoquezo taco trees?  :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2013, 12:19:30 PM

So, a quick lesson in the development of languages. If a word means something in one country, but then is carried to other places that use it to mean something similar but not exactly the same, in those countries that word has a new meaning. In this case, just because chorizo is a particular kind of sausage in Spain, it doesn't mean that it doesn't mean "sausage" elsewhere. It's almost like a brand name at that point.

For example, in English, one wipes their nose with a tissue. However, in the US, we tend to wipe our noses with Kleenex, even though it may not be the brand Kleenex tissue that we're using.

If a large part of the world uses the term "chorizo" to mean sausage, then, for them, that's exactly what it means. By common definition, it means a spicy pork sausage. That can be innumerable recipes from all over the place. So, while you may not use it to mean "sausage" in Spain, that does not negate the fact that it is, in fact, "sausage" in a whole hell of a lot of other places.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 12:36:55 PM
Meri, you can't let The Forehead out-bean you.

I'm legitimate Hispandex.  Or I will be when I get that passport :contract:

lustindarkness

Chorizo is a sausage, but sausage is not chorizo.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 12:59:39 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2013, 12:19:30 PM

So, a quick lesson in the development of languages. If a word means something in one country, but then is carried to other places that use it to mean something similar but not exactly the same, in those countries that word has a new meaning. In this case, just because chorizo is a particular kind of sausage in Spain, it doesn't mean that it doesn't mean "sausage" elsewhere. It's almost like a brand name at that point.

For example, in English, one wipes their nose with a tissue. However, in the US, we tend to wipe our noses with Kleenex, even though it may not be the brand Kleenex tissue that we're using.

If a large part of the world uses the term "chorizo" to mean sausage, then, for them, that's exactly what it means. By common definition, it means a spicy pork sausage. That can be innumerable recipes from all over the place. So, while you may not use it to mean "sausage" in Spain, that does not negate the fact that it is, in fact, "sausage" in a whole hell of a lot of other places.

He is right though. No where does Chorizo mean "sausage".  The term is often used to desribe a kind of sausage but it does not mean sausage.

Maple does not mean syrop.  But if you are using any other kind of syrop you are missing out.

derspiess

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch