United States' first food forest to be built in Seattle

Started by merithyn, April 04, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I don't know what the British Flan is.

There's flan it's made by whisking eggs, milk & flour together and cooked in an oven

& there's Creme caramel, what you guys refer to flan but it's not flan, it's creme caramel.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2013, 10:40:25 AM
I don't know what the British Flan is.

There's flan it's made by whisking eggs, milk & flour together and cooked in an oven

& there's Creme caramel, what you guys refer to flan but it's not flan, it's creme caramel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flan_(custard)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

It's a terrible place to eat for those looking for snob value.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 11:16:55 AM
It's a terrible place to eat for those looking for snob value.

It's nothing about snob value - I just find their burritos to be mostly tasteless, particularly after having spent several years in a land of taquerias. I suppose a leg up over most "similar*" fast food burritos though.

*thinking like Moe's and Qdoba.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

So really Yi agree with your assessment of they're fine. Alright but nothing to get excited about and certainly not the best. :D

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2013, 10:45:25 AM
English wikipedia is wrong.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flan_(dessert)

Apparently, the first known flan-type foods actually came from ancient Rome. There were similar dishes all over the world, however, that were developed independently around the same time.

Quote"[English] Roman period...eggs took on a much greater importance in Roman times, when domestic fowl first became common. With eggs for the first time available on such a scale, it was now possible to consider them seriously in cookery..[the Romans] exploited eggs as a thickening or binding agent for other foods. They borrowed from the Greeks the idea of combining eggs with milk to form a custard mixture, which was either cooked very slowly in an earthenware pot, or fried in oil...Another kind of egg confection was made of fruit or vegetables, or fish or shredded meat, bound with eggs and lightly cooked in the open dish called a "patina." ...The "flathons" (flans), "crustards" and other open tarts of medieval cookery again recall the old "patinae," with the shallow open dish of the Romans replaced by an open pastry crust, and the filling once more mixed and bound with eggs."
---Food and Drink in Britain: From the Stone Age to the 19th Century, C. Anne Wilson [Academy Chicago Publishers:Chicago] 1991 (p. 138, p.142)
NOTE: This book has an excellent chapter on the histoy of eggs in English cookery (pages 137-148)

The type of flan as we know it today was considered a healthy dish in the Renaissance period, and shows up in various medicinal guides for those suffering from a bunch of different maladies.

QuoteAccording to Platina's De Honesta Voluptate[On Right Pleasure and Good Health], an Italian cookery text published approximately 1475, custard-type dishes were considered health food. In addition to being nourishing they were thought to soothe the chest, aid the kidneys and liver, increase fertility and eliminate certain urinary tract problems.

But yes, the Creme Caramel was developed by the French, though there were similar dishes in Spain, Portugal, China, the Middle East, and northern Africa around the same time. So, it's probably most correct to say that the name for Creme Caramel came from the French, but the dish surpasses the name.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpuddings.html#flan
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...