United States' first food forest to be built in Seattle

Started by merithyn, April 04, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 08:16:26 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2013, 08:15:55 PM
Yeah. That baffled me too. What do you mean by flan?

It's a Mexican custard.
Okay. Yeah definitely baffled by you know.

(I asked because flan in the UK can refer to a sort of tart or a sort of creme caramel. I can be indifferent to a poorly made tart but would kill for a good creme caramel/flan.)
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Flan is awesome when made right. As simple as it is, it's easy to screw up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

It's a Mexican custard.

What's that a mixture of refried beans, salsa, and  Menudo.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on April 04, 2013, 08:22:29 PM

It's a Mexican custard.

What's that a mixture of refried beans, salsa, and  Menudo.

So that is what happened to Ricky Martin.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2013, 08:19:27 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 08:16:10 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2013, 08:13:53 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 07:58:49 PM

I guess if I had to pick one I actively avoid, it's flan.

:o

I know, I know. I've tried. But it's gross.

When the revolution comes, you are off the safe list pal!

It is pretty bad in a - why would I waste the calories sort of way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

It's a Mexican custard.

Please tell me you're just fucking with me now. Flan is Spanish, isn't it?? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fhdz

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2013, 11:52:45 PM
Please tell me you're just fucking with me now. Flan is Spanish, isn't it?? :unsure:

From the Wikipedia article: "In Spanish-speaking countries and in North America, flan refers to crème caramel. This was originally a Spanish usage, but the dish is now best known in the United States in a Latin American context."

So yes, you're right, but I've never had it in Spain, only in Mexico and in Mexican restaurants here in the US.
and the horse you rode in on

The Larch

First chorizo and now flan! Is there anything devious Mexicans won't steal from our cuisine?  :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2013, 05:26:02 AM
First chorizo and now flan! Is there anything devious Mexicans won't steal from our cuisine?  :mad:

Your jobs are next.

lustindarkness

LOL, gringos lump all spics as mexicans, what a surprise.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

merithyn

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 05, 2013, 08:55:26 AM

I asked my older foster sister about the chorizo thing. She thought it was Mexican, too. Then she and I looked it up, and apparently, Spanish chorizo and Mexican chorizo are very different, at least as she and I know them. And "chorizo" appears to just mean sausage, which makes sense that they're different depending on which country you're talking about.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 08:58:56 AM

I asked my older foster sister about the chorizo thing. She thought it was Mexican, too. Then she and I looked it up, and apparently, Spanish chorizo and Mexican chorizo are very different, at least as she and I know them. And "chorizo" appears to just mean sausage, which makes sense that they're different depending on which country you're talking about.

Still not exclusively Mexican, sorry :contract:

FWIW, Mexican chorizo and Argentine chorizo taste fairly similar to me.

All this talk about chorizo is making think about bife de chorizo  :mmm: , which has nothing to do with the sausage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 09:04:24 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 08:58:56 AM

Still not exclusively Mexican, sorry :contract:

:huh:

I know. That's what the bolded part was saying. I didn't understand that the word chorizo meant sausage in Spanish, rather than that it was a specific dish in Mexican cuisine. (FWIW, my sister was the same.) Now we both know. :)

lustindarkness

On Saturdays I go to a lady's house to eat authentic Mexican tacos. We know her as "The Taco Lady". She sells tacos out of her home of chorizo (my fav), lengua (tongue), bistec (steak), and carnitas (pork).  :licklips:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom