News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the US Bail Out California?

Started by Faeelin, May 22, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So, now that Californians have firmly expressed a desire to continue to have something for nothing, there's talk of giving California's government twenty billion in federal aid.

Anybody seriously think this won't happen?

Valmy

Sure the Federal Government can use its massive budget surplus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2009, 08:56:02 AM
Sure the Federal Government can use its massive budget surplus.

Oh, I see what you did there.

The Brain

What kind of faggot runs California anyway?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2009, 08:58:16 AM
What kind of faggot runs California anyway?

A non native born faggit.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

I have no idea what will happen, but any federal funds should come with rather harsh consequences.

I posted a while back an analysis seeming to show that California's debt problems are not that bad compared to other states--on a per capita basis California seems to be about middle of the pack. The problem is they imposed on themselves a legislative process that makes it almost impossible to cut spending or raise taxes, and a constitutional requirement to balance the budget. I don't think the state is insolvent so much as it passed a bunch of silly constitutional amendments that tied its hands, and now can't write checks even though the money is there to do so.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on May 22, 2009, 09:04:01 AM
I have no idea what will happen, but any federal funds should come with rather harsh consequences.

The problem is that I can't see how you force the harsh consequences.

"We won't give you the money unless you pass a constitutional amendment..."

Hrm.

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on May 22, 2009, 09:13:37 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 22, 2009, 09:04:01 AM

"We won't give you the money unless you pass a constitutional amendment..."

Hrm.

Isn't half of the money of most state budgets from the feds? Why not just take their road funding and use it for their debt service (or some similar type of arrangement)?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Warspite

This is what happens when you let economic girly-men get in the way of fiscal orthodoxy.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Quote from: Warspite on May 22, 2009, 09:45:37 AM
This is what happens when you let economic girly-men get in the way of fiscal orthodoxy.

This is what happens when we let naturalized citizens have power.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2009, 09:46:29 AM

What power?

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2009, 09:47:22 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2009, 09:46:29 AM

What power?
Power to Vote. Damn Mexicans!

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

California is too big to fail!

Maybe Obama can buy it, "reorganize" and then give it to the state employees union.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on May 22, 2009, 09:13:37 AM

We could knee-cap Jaron & grabon.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall