And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the US Bail Out California?

Started by Faeelin, May 22, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2009, 08:59:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2009, 08:58:16 AM
What kind of faggot runs California anyway?

A non native born faggit.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Actually, the problem is the Californians themselves.  California would be governable if only non-natives had a say in things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Why would a state of garbons and Jarons be ungovernable?

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on May 22, 2009, 10:06:37 AM
California is too big to fail!

Maybe Obama can buy it, "reorganize" and then give it to the state employees union.

:lmfao:

saskganesh

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2009, 11:21:01 AM
Why would a state of garbons and Jarons be ungovernable?

they are only governable if you ban them. repeatedly. this is why you failed as a mod, and why you would make a bad governorator.
humans were created in their own image

garbon

So is the feeling that Californians should have agreed to the propositions offered to us?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 12:32:17 PM
So is the feeling that Californians should have agreed to the propositions offered to us?
Yes, of course.  What were those propositions, BTW?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 22, 2009, 09:04:01 AM
I have no idea what will happen, but any federal funds should come with rather harsh consequences.

I posted a while back an analysis seeming to show that California's debt problems are not that bad compared to other states--on a per capita basis California seems to be about middle of the pack. The problem is they imposed on themselves a legislative process that makes it almost impossible to cut spending or raise taxes, and a constitutional requirement to balance the budget. I don't think the state is insolvent so much as it passed a bunch of silly constitutional amendments that tied its hands, and now can't write checks even though the money is there to do so.
AFAIK the only limitation on the revenue side is prop 13.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 12:32:17 PM
The feeling is that Californians should pass a proposition giving up their power to vote on propositions.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:36:33 PM
The feeling is that Californians should pass a proposition giving up their power to vote on propositions.

Is that ever a proposition on the ballot? I don't know honestly know since I recently started voting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 12:38:21 PM
Is that ever a proposition on the ballot? I don't know honestly know since I recently started voting.
No.  Go grab a clipboard and get some signatures.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:39:28 PM
No.  Go grab a clipboard and get some signatures.

I'm stuck at work. :(

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:41:54 PM
Later then.

I'd certainly be in favor. Voting is exhausting here! Which is why so few probably turned out last Tuesday.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:35:52 PM

AFAIK the only limitation on the revenue side is prop 13.

I'm not very knowledgeable on California propositions, but my understanding is that a supermajority is needed to pass tax increases in the legislature.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 22, 2009, 12:51:33 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable on California propositions, but my understanding is that a supermajority is needed to pass tax increases in the legislature.
Ah, OK.