And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the US Bail Out California?

Started by Faeelin, May 22, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on May 22, 2009, 08:07:44 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 22, 2009, 03:23:07 PM
the safe political way to cut social spending is not to keep up with inflation. over time, the budget for that item is reduced. see Chretien, Jean.

dramatic, over night cuts are politically risky. Mike Harris (ON) got relected on it once but eventually people realised there were real world consequences.
gotta add to this. if you successfully articulate a political crisis over debt through the media and social medias, and line up your attack dogs in the right order, it's a lot easier to make cuts. in other words, design a good PR campaign.

Thatcher pulled it off. there was a political cost, but she was relected. however, Thatcher could not pull off everything she wanted.
Klein got away with it.  He gutted everything, broke the unions and eliminated the threat of the opposition parties.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2009, 03:00:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:36:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 12:32:17 PM
So is the feeling that Californians should have agreed to the propositions offered to us?
The feeling is that Californians should pass a proposition giving up their power to vote on propositions.
the protection of gnomes and a generally benign budgetary system. 
Are gnomes endangered in Switzerland? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 08:20:07 PM
Klein got away with it.  He gutted everything, broke the unions and eliminated the threat of the opposition parties.

Alberta has had the grand total of one change in governing party since the early 30s - and even ten it was only to change from one right-wing party to another.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 08:04:20 PM
Kentucky. 'nuff said. ;)

There are nice parts of Kentucky as well.  Why, I'll bet there are nice, as well as shitty, parts of every state! :w00t:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on May 22, 2009, 09:06:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 08:04:20 PM
Kentucky. 'nuff said. ;)

There are nice parts of Kentucky as well.  Why, I'll bet there are nice, as well as shitty, parts of every state! :w00t:

Every part of Yukon is nice. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Fireblade

Only if Arkansas gets a bailout too.

Berkut

Quote from: Fireblade on May 22, 2009, 11:04:54 PM
Only if Arkansas gets a bailout too.

Arkansas is definitely small enough to fail.

In fact, has it ever NOT been fail?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2009, 01:25:26 AM

That was going to be my question. How would one notice the difference if Arkansas got a bailout or not?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2009, 01:36:05 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2009, 01:25:26 AM

That was going to be my question. How would one notice the difference if Arkansas got a bailout or not?

They pimp their school system.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Berkut on May 22, 2009, 10:06:37 AM
California is too big to fail!

Maybe Obama can buy it, "reorganize" and then give it to the state employees union.

I don't see how that would work.  Even the idiots who run Fiat wouldn't want to merge with California.   

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 02:48:26 PM
Btw, only an utterly ridiculous person would think that New Jersey should be mentioned in the same breath as New York and California.  The same kind of person who might view Massachusetts and California as rivals.

I'm trying and failing to think of a way that California is superior to New Jersey. You have... better beaches?

Better weather, assuming you're a weird sunnofabitch who hates winter?

More distance between you and New York City?

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on May 23, 2009, 09:29:15 PM
I'm trying and failing to think of a way that California is superior to New Jersey. You have... better beaches?

Better weather, assuming you're a weird sunnofabitch who hates winter?

More distance between you and New York City?

Oh, you were dropped on your head as a child? :( :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2009, 09:40:24 PM
Oh, you were dropped on your head as a child? :( :console:

It's what makes me such a charming character.