And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the US Bail Out California?

Started by Faeelin, May 22, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:36:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 12:32:17 PM
So is the feeling that Californians should have agreed to the propositions offered to us?
The feeling is that Californians should pass a proposition giving up their power to vote on propositions.

I've heard you can have a lot of luck offering propositions to California girls.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

saskganesh

ok. now that sounds like a good proposition.
humans were created in their own image

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 22, 2009, 12:53:30 PM
I've heard you can have a lot of luck offering propositions to California girls.
I've heard that San Francisco women are so hard up they'll grab your package and try to rape you in the produce aisle.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on May 22, 2009, 12:53:30 PM

Greatly depends on part of the state. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

When California starts to sink, I don't think bailing will help.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:41:54 PM
Later then.

I'd certainly be in favor. Voting is exhausting here! Which is why so few probably turned out last Tuesday.

If you guys vote on almost anything, what do your elected representatives do?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2009, 01:35:21 PM

Until recently, they voted on whether or not they deserved raises.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Just 24% Favor Federal Bailout for California
Friday, May 22, 2009

Twenty-four percent (24%) of voters nationwide favor federal bailout funds for states like California that are encountering "serious financial problems." The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that 59% are opposed to such bailouts.

As for California specifically, again just 24% believe the federal government should guarantee the state's loans. Sixty-six percent (66%) of voters nationwide oppose federal guarantees. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has said the state may request such guarantees.

Even given the most extreme example of bankruptcy, voters oppose federal subsidies to keep the state government going.

Forty-eight percent (48%) say it would be better for the economy to let California go bankrupt rather than provide federal bailouts. Just 38% said it would be better to provide federal subsidies so the state can continue to pay its bills and provide services.

Earlier this week, California voters overwhelmingly rejected a series of tax increases placed on the ballot by Schwarzenegger and the state legislature. This rejection came despite the fact that those campaigning for the tax hikes heavily outspent the opposition.

The only ballot measure that passed was one preventing pay raises for the legislators if they don't balance the budget.

Rasmussen Reports state polling found that voters want to go even further and require significant pay cuts for their elected politicians. The state's voters are in no mood for further tax hikes and quite supportive of spending cuts. They place the blame for the state's fiscal problem on the unwillingness of elected officials to control government spending.

The national survey sample included 112 respondents from California. A majority of California voters favor federal loan guarantees for state borrowing and also believe additional subsidies would be better than bankruptcy. California, the nation's largest state, accounts for nearly 12% of the U.S. population.

Voters from outside the Golden State oppose federal loan guarantees by a 69% to 20% margin.

Among voters nationwide, loan guarantees for California are opposed by 84% of Republicans, 50% of Democrats and 68% of those not affiliated with either major political party.

Most Republicans (67%) and unaffiliated voters (51%) say it is better to let the state go bankrupt than to provide federal subsidies. Democrats, by a 58% to 30% margin, hold the opposite view.

As on many issues, the difference in opinion between the Political Class and the rest of the nation is larger than the gap between the political parties. By an 84% to seven percent (7%) margin, the Political Class prefers federal subsidies over bankruptcy. By a 67% to 21% margin, those in the Political Class favor federal loan guarantees to help California raise money (see more on the Political Class).

Voters have consistently opposed federal bailout funds for the auto industry, the banking industry and insurance companies. Looking back on the bailouts that were provided, most continue to believe they were a bad idea.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

saskganesh

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2009, 01:35:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 12:41:54 PM
Later then.

I'd certainly be in favor. Voting is exhausting here! Which is why so few probably turned out last Tuesday.

go to work, sit on committees and do the actual work of writing the legislation that the referendums' require.

the boring ass government stuff that's rarely on TV but consumes 80% of pols' time.

OK I made up 80%. but it's huge.

DGuller

BTW, how is it that some of the richest states in the country are also the most fucked up?  New Jersey, New York, and California all rank pretty high, and yet they're all ungovernable and one recession away from financial abyss.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2009, 02:03:17 PM
BTW, how is it that some of the richest states in the country are also the most fucked up?  New Jersey, New York, and California all rank pretty high, and yet they're all ungovernable and one recession away from financial abyss.
Powerful public employee unions?

saskganesh

greater demand for actual services?

it's sometimes said that New Hampshire has no debt, no taxes ... and no sidewalks.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 02:07:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2009, 02:03:17 PM
Powerful public employee unions?
But how did the states get so rich while saddled with such graft?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2009, 02:15:24 PM
But how did the states get so rich while saddled with such graft?
IIRC state and local public employee unions only started in the 1970s (?).

Siege

Jaron have been behaving lately, haven't he?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"