News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Huntsville, AL

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2013, 05:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I shall be there at the end of next month.  Suggest some things to do PLZ.  K THX
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

If I has there, I guess the first thing on my agenda would be to leave and go somewhere else.  :)

Syt

QuoteMuseums
US Space & Rocket Center is home to the US Space Camp and Aviation Challenge programs as well as the only Saturn V rocket designated a National Historic Landmark.
Alabama Constitution Village features eight reconstructed Federal style buildings, with living-museums displays downtown.[78]
Burritt Museum and Park, located on Monte Sano Mountain, is a regional history museum featuring a 1930s mansion, nature trails, scenic overlooks and more.[79]
Clay House Museum is an antebellum home built ca. 1853 and showcases decorative styles up to 1950 and an outstanding collection of Noritake Porcelain.[80]
Early Works Museum is a child friendly interactive museum in downtown Huntsville.[78]
Harrison Brothers Hardware Store established in 1879, is the oldest operating hardware store in Alabama. Though now owned and operated by the Historic Huntsville Foundation, it is still a working store, and part museum featuring skilled craftsmen who volunteer to run the store and answer questions.[81][82]
The Historic Huntsville Depot completed in 1860 is the oldest surviving railroad depot in Alabama and one of the oldest surviving depots in the United States.[83]
Huntsville Museum of Art in Big Spring International Park offers permanent displays, traveling exhibitions, and educational programs for children and adults.[84]
Sci-Quest is an interactive premiere hands-on museum for early childhood education, aged four through sixth grade.[85]
North Alabama Railroad Museum is a railroad museum with over 30 pieces of rolling stock
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Highest concentration of Masters and Doctoral degrees in the US. The town can't be that bad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

Seems lots of job opportunities there, at least in my field of IT/government work.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on March 24, 2013, 06:09:37 AM
If I has there, I guess the first thing on my agenda would be to leave and go somewhere else.  :)

This coming from the guy from West Virginia.  :lol:

Huntsville's pretty well known for the space stuff. Other than that, I expect you'll find it's a pretty ordinary small city.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

US Space & Rocket Center and find Dreamland BBQ or something similar.

When?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

I'm definitely hitting the US Space and Rocket center.  Tell me more about Dreamland BBQ please. :cool:

Timing is April 26th, 27th, and 28th.

lustindarkness

I think I may be back by then, I have some travels that month.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 25, 2013, 09:36:58 PM
I think I may be back by then, I have some travels that month.
Oh cool.... for whatever reason I didn't think about the possibility of a meet-up. :blush:

Caliga

lusti: Seriously ese if you want to meet up that would be awesome.  Now I'm going to be there starting Thurs. night... not sure how far Huntsville is from Birmingham. :hmm:

Caliga

So this seems like a pretty nice town so far.

Also, I've now been to every state east of the Mississippi except for Mississippi itself.  :cool:

Eddie Teach

Mississippi is aka "that state you drive through to get to Louisiana (or Alabama)".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?