News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

I just formed the HRE as Bohemia, and the game crashed. I guess that means the AI gave up.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Quote from: Kleves on December 23, 2009, 02:52:56 AM
I just formed the HRE as Bohemia, and the game crashed. I guess that means the AI gave up.
I've come to conclusion that Bohemia is ridiculously overpowered (and it's game over once it becomes HRE).  It has two highly unbalanced missions, with Silesia and with Hungary. 

With Silesia you get 5 Infamy points off when you improve relations with them (which makes it profitable to keep insulting them), and with Hungary you get 30 military tradition every time you don't lose a war when they're involved. 

Both are extremely valuable rewards in 15th century.  I was able to use my uber-leaders to basically whip anyone around at my pleasure, even the French and the boosted Burgundians.

crazy canuck

France has a very hard time of it.  I havent seen them form properly in the games I played as Moscovy and Castille.  Ok, in the second game I had a hand in that but in IN as Castille I didnt want to mess with France in the early game.  Now they are much weaker.

Caliga

In the game I have now (will probably restart post-patch) it is circa 1440 and I saw the following two oddities that I'd never seen before in prior versions of EU:

Venetian Empire: Venice had taken over all of independent Greece (i.e. the parts I didn't control as the Turks), plus Albania.  I guess that isn't too surprising, though it's a little odd since they lost control of Crete to a revolt and it became an independent Kingdom.  But what was surprising was to see Venice conquer Georgia and then *conquer the Golden Horde* from which it took control of the entire Black Sea littoral except Crimea, which was taken around the same time by...

...Muscovy.  By the same time as this Venetisn stuff was going on, Muscovy had already beaten up Novgorod and taken much of its territory, and taken everything from the Golden Horde Venice hadn't taken, aside from Sarai and like one other province.  Also, Lithuania had disintegrated and Muscovy had already swallowed up Polotsk and most of Ukraine.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

People! I think that the public beta patch sets all kinds of funny difficulty settings. Namely Very Easy and free spies and faster spread of land province discoveries and highly agressive AI. So make sure to set them to more manly levels.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on December 23, 2009, 03:14:14 PM
People! I think that the public beta patch sets all kinds of funny difficulty settings. Namely Very Easy and free spies and faster spread of land province discoveries and highly agressive AI. So make sure to set them to more manly levels.
That's only if you play the game you started on a prior version.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2009, 04:02:41 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 23, 2009, 03:14:14 PM
That's only if you play the game you started on a prior version.

no

Tamas

well, at least, it sets the difficulty that way so you need to set it back if you do start a completely new game

Razgovory

I think I'll try a game as Austria since the new stuff revolves heavily around the HRE.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2009, 05:59:41 PM
I think I'll try a game as Austria since the new stuff revolves heavily around the HRE.

No it does not.

Barrister

Any ideas on how to survive and thrive in HTTT as Byzantium?

Several of the old exploits no longer seem to work.  I can't pick up some of the OPMs for free at the very start of the game by an immediate DOW, since they're all protected at the start.  I can't get just the OE into a war by DOWing a vassal - their entire alliance comes in. 

I can still manage to isolate their army on Asia Minor if I quickly build up a big enough fleet at least, so there's still that.  And I think I can manage to squish European OE, Serbia, and Bosnia, fast enough to win a few provinces in a peace deal, but again I used to exploit by immediately DOWing a 2nd vassal and attacking before OE could regroup - I don't think that's an option anymore.

Any ideas?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The AAR on the EU III forum seems to have a good bit of advice as far as expanding.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448218
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Retard quote of the day (week? month?) from the EU III board :

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451706

Quote"this is totally ahistorical since the catholic church did conversion by the sword, and the papal state was a war state. i mean they killed 10s of millions if not 100s."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

Does anyone know what changing the EU3 difficulty settings actually does?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

ulmont

Habs, I think the HTTT Byz AAR was a beta, and that changes were made specifically to eliminate some of it's exploits, like the zero-day DoW.