Putin: Winter War was fought to correct errors in border with Finland

Started by Syt, March 15, 2013, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I like to think my Finnish M39 rifle whacked a few Soviets.  But since it has a date of 1944 and the fact that it looks barely used, that's very doubtful.

Deciphered one of the proofs on the receiver and found out that it was originally produced here in the US by New England Westinghouse (as part of an M91 rifle).  That rifle was likely produced in 1915 or 1916 and shipped to the Imperial Russian Army, then absorbed into the Red Army, then captured by the Finns, who took the receiver and put a new barrel, stock, trigger, etc. on it & made it into an M39.

The M39 was such a well-made rifle, particularly for a Mosin-Nagant variant.  For all their current nuttiness, the Finns worked near-miracles with such limited resources back in the day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
For all their current nuttiness, the Finns worked near-miracles with such limited resources back in the day.

Necessity being the mother of invention and all that.  But seriously if the Russians had shown basic competence it would not have been much of a struggle.

What do you mean by current nuttiness?  Like that Lizard woman guy and mouth sugar back in the day?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2013, 10:48:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
For all their current nuttiness, the Finns worked near-miracles with such limited resources back in the day.

Necessity being the mother of invention and all that.  But seriously if the Russians had shown basic competence it would not have been much of a struggle.

What do you mean by current nuttiness?  Like that Lizard woman guy and mouth sugar back in the day?

I think that it's important to note that despite Soviet ineptness and Finnish skill the Finns still lost.  I think that should take it out of the running.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Tbh Putin does have a point in that Finnish defense would have collapsed had the war continued much longer. It was already under great strain and barely holding together. Even Mannerheim understood this, which is why he wanted a peace treaty. And Stalin was getting worried about Germany, so he was content to disengage from Finland asap.

dps

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2013, 09:38:59 AM
The Turk invasion of the Caucas in the middle of winter has to trump them...

For something involving supposedly major powers, I think that was probably the worst. 

Once you start looking at the Third World, there's plenty to choose from.  The Cambodian attack on Vietnam, or maybe the Ugandan invasion of Tanzania.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Why support the Finns when it turns out they were all secretly Jew-hating Nazi sympathizers, and monsters to a man?  Sure, no one knew it yet in 1939, they were just defending themselves.  But perhaps Stalin had an inkling of their allegiance to true evil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on March 16, 2013, 10:09:42 PM
Why support the Finns when it turns out they were all secretly Jew-hating Nazi sympathizers, and monsters to a man?  Sure, no one knew it yet in 1939, they were just defending themselves.  But perhaps Stalin had an inkling of their allegiance to true evil.

'Cause commies are worse than Nazis.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: dps on March 16, 2013, 11:55:23 PM

:hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2013, 12:02:21 AM

The only good commie is a dead commie.  The same is true of Nazis, but at this point, the Nazis are almost all dead, but there are still plenty of live commies.

Viking

The terms of the finnish alliance with the nazis was pretty clear in terms of who and where they fight. Finland specifically was not going to fight the UK and Greece (which was in the fight at the time of the alliance).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brezel

Finnish jews were never persecuted, though, and instead served in the army. Finland deported  eight foreign jewish refugees and about 2000 soviet prisoners of war, amongst them some 70 jews, to Germany.

Three Finnish jews were awarded the iron cross, although all of them refused to accept the decoration.

http://www.jewishquarterly.org/issuearchive/article8d14.html?articleid=194

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2013, 12:02:21 AM

There were many in this country who thought we should ally with Hitler.  I suspect there still are some.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017