Putin: Winter War was fought to correct errors in border with Finland

Started by Syt, March 15, 2013, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2013, 10:00:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2013, 09:55:55 AM
Naw, Italian performance in WW1 has it beat.  :D

No way.  Attacking a tiny inpoverished country and getting driven back and whipped is entirely different from being unable to break a Great Power, even one in as desperate straights as Austria-Hungary.

Hey, bad as Mussolini was, even he didn't actively decimate his own troops.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2013, 10:05:50 AM
Hey, bad as Mussolini was, even he didn't actively decimate his own troops.  :D

It was necessary to enforce discipline! :cadorna:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Besides, the Alpine front of WW1 as one of the harshest environments to fight in. Props to both sides for holding out as long as they did.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Drakken

The Falklands War on the Argentinian side would go up there as well.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2013, 08:13:01 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 15, 2013, 08:08:35 AM
Polish Wheel of Fortune must be really fun.

"I take z, y, w, r and l."

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

In Polish Scrabble W, Z and Y are all worth 1 point.

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on March 15, 2013, 11:29:05 AM

Another would be the Egyptian campaign in the Sinai in 1967.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2013, 09:20:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2013, 09:10:18 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2013, 09:09:40 AM
Was the Soviet invasion of Finland the most inept military campaign of the 20th century? If not, what was?

The Italian invasion of Greece.
I should have made an Italian exemption. <_<

I was going to say Italian invasion of Ethiopia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2013, 01:29:35 PM
Quote from: Drakken on March 15, 2013, 11:29:05 AM

Another would be the Egyptian campaign in the Sinai in 1967.

Where the battle plan was literally "run away!"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

I think Winter War is the best example, because it was a superpower getting cut to ribbons by villagers on skis of a much smaller country.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on March 15, 2013, 01:45:37 PM
I think Winter War is the best example, because it was a superpower getting cut to ribbons by villagers on skis of a much smaller country.

What the Finns did was fantastic

Sissi FTW
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2013, 10:37:48 AM
Besides, the Alpine front of WW1 as one of the harshest environments to fight in. Props to both sides for holding out as long as they did.

Well it's hard for them to both lose.

Another inept campaign:  Russian naval campaign against Japan in 1905.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

The campaign of Annual, or 'how to lose your entire army to a bunch of rebels'.

The Russo-Japanese war.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Solmyr on March 15, 2013, 05:49:59 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2013, 05:34:09 AM
Definitely had to look at the original Russian for this one, just for fun.

Do you have a link?

Nothing like a transcript, but a Russian news article with more of his quotes in the original tongue.

http://ria.ru/society/20130314/927341148.html

For the peanut gallery, I think even when copy/pasted into Google translate's sometimes pigeon english, you can see that it seems more like scholarly discussion rather than nationalist/patriotic rhetoric.