Putin: Winter War was fought to correct errors in border with Finland

Started by Syt, March 15, 2013, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2013, 09:09:40 AM
Was the Soviet invasion of Finland the most inept military campaign of the 20th century? If not, what was?

The Italian invasion of Greece.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Was the Soviet invasion of Finland the most inept military campaign of the 20th century? If not, what was?

British defense of Malaya?

Italian offensive into Egypt?

Turkish offensive into the Caucusus?

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2013, 09:10:18 AM

It's certainly up there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I should have made an Italian exemption. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

The Turk invasion of the Caucas in the middle of winter has to trump them...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Soviet 1942 Kharkov Offensive.
Soviet Lyuban Offensive 1942.

Both horribly mismanaged, bungled, idiotic offensives that ended up with each front stabilized, large well supplied armies captured, and a chance for the Germans to rebound.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Iraqi invasion of Iran.  Talk about botched monkeys fucking footballs.
Iraqi defense of Kuwait and Desert Storm.  For sheer size, scale and capability, one side getting rolled by the other so lopsidedly since 71 AD.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 09:50:04 AM
Iraqi defense of Kuwait and Desert Storm.  For sheer size, scale and capability, one side getting rolled by the other so lopsidedly since 71 AD.

Disagree.  Given the assets of both sides the only better outcome Iraq could have gotten was to request an armistice on day one.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 09:52:00 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 09:50:04 AM

Disagree.  Given the assets of both sides the only better outcome Iraq could have gotten was to request an armistice on day one.

Disagree on your disagreement.  Iraqi armed forces were on paper a substantial conventional opponent prior to the air war.

Malthus

Naw, Italian performance in WW1 has it beat.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 09:54:30 AM
Disagree on your disagreement.  Iraqi armed forces were on paper a substantial conventional opponent prior to the air war.

On paper the Iraqi aircraft, tanks, and APCs were target practice.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

On paper the Iraqi aircraft, tanks, and APCs were target practice.

You need to brush up on Stormin' Norman's pre-invasion briefings. 

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2013, 09:55:55 AM
Naw, Italian performance in WW1 has it beat.  :D

No way.  Attacking a tiny inpoverished country and getting driven back and whipped is entirely different from being unable to break a Great Power, even one in as desperate straights as Austria-Hungary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 09:59:13 AM

You need to brush up on the main gun range and night-fighting capability of a T-72 vs. an M-1.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 10:03:56 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 09:59:13 AM

You need to brush up on the main gun range and night-fighting capability of a T-72 vs. an M-1.

The T-72 has superior armor.  I've known that for years, thanks to the interwebs.