Putin: Winter War was fought to correct errors in border with Finland

Started by Syt, March 15, 2013, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/putin-red-army-losses-finland-honored-18731366

QuotePutin: Red Army Losses in Finland to Be Honored

Russian President Vladimir Putin has voiced support for building memorials to honor Red Army soldiers who died in a 1939-1940 war with Finland.

Putin said Thursday at a meeting with military historians that Soviet dictator Josef Stalin launched the war to "correct mistakes" made in drawing the border with Finland after the 1917 Bolshevik revolution.

Putin says the Red Army sustained heavy losses because of errors, but it mobilized to make Finland "feel all the power of the Russian, then Soviet state," according to Russian news agencies.

The Soviet Union attacked Finland in November 1939, and the Winter War ended with a peace treaty in March 1940 that left the Soviets with significant territorial gains. The Red Army lost up to 150,000 soldiers, and about 20,000 Finns were killed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Definitely had to look at the original Russian for this one, just for fun.

I'll have to chew on it more later when I have time, and definitely not to defend his Putin-ness, but his tone seems more of a scholarly perspective, not so nationalist as the english article portrays. 

Solmyr

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Solmyr

Viking

Yeah, half a million refugees are just a statistic. It's not like Viipuuri wasn't the second largest city in finland.  :huh:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on March 15, 2013, 07:00:45 AM
Yeah, half a million refugees are just a statistic. It's not like Viipuuri wasn't the second largest city in finland.  :huh:

Finland should export vowels to Poland.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 07:10:02 AM

Poltava was a co-ordinated attempt by Chucky XII to export finnish vowels and polish consonants to russia where the is a dire lack of roman letters.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Pftt. We have vowels. We just don't use them recklessly when cz, sz, rz or dz would suffice.  :rolleyes:

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on March 15, 2013, 07:56:54 AM

Pftt. We have vowels. We just don't use them recklessly when cz, sz, rz or dz would suffice.  :rolleyes:

Polish Wheel of Fortune must be really fun.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on March 15, 2013, 08:08:35 AM
Polish Wheel of Fortune must be really fun.

"I take z, y, w, r and l."

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Was the Soviet invasion of Finland the most inept military campaign of the 20th century? If not, what was?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point