Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

merithyn

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 12:16:43 PM
Emperor Fahdiz proposes a 3-year waiting period on marriage; like gun control, but better.

And no marriages before the age of 25. :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fhdz

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2013, 12:18:25 PM
Emperor Fahdiz proposes a 3-year waiting period on marriage; like gun control, but better.

And no marriages before the age of 25. :contract:

:D :thumbsup:
and the horse you rode in on

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2013, 12:17:24 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 20, 2013, 12:10:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2013, 12:06:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 20, 2013, 12:04:45 PM
I "blame" people living a hell of a lot longer and female financial freedom. And I guess, to keep with the threads theme, wives getting fatter :P

So, basically, you blame the current divorce rate on women?
huh? No, I'm saying people live longer and so have more time to change and grow apart and that now women don't have to stay in an abusive/miserable relationship out of financial need. I think those are the two leading causes.

Your post:

I blame people living longer. (Gender neutral)
I blame financial independence of women. (Women)
I blame women getting fatter. (Women)

:hmm:

Your clarification helps, but I'm still watching you... :mad:
not everyone on languish hates women... Just most of them :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

There is so much entitlement out there. A relationship is something you have to invest in. It's not magic. It's work. So many people are unwilling to "settle" or put any work into it. They'll just ditch because they're not haaappy.

I can't see it as a negative thing that maybe less women are "trapped" in marriages they don't like for financial reasons. I put it down to people just having unrealistic expectations. Just give up and go make a 50-point list of requirements on an online dating site instead.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2013, 12:21:58 PM
There is so much entitlement out there. A relationship is something you have to invest in. It's not magic. It's work. So many people are unwilling to "settle" or put any work into it. They'll just ditch because they're not haaappy.

I can't see it as a negative thing that maybe less women are "trapped" in marriages they don't like for financial reasons. I put it down to people just having unrealistic expectations. Just give up and go make a 50-point list of requirements on an online dating site instead.  :P

Exactly.

To bring it back on topic, hence my disappointment that so many would be willing to leave their wife because she gained weight.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2013, 12:25:32 PM
Exactly.

To bring it back on topic, hence my disappointment that so many would be willing to leave their wife because she gained weight.

That was not exactly the subject of the poll.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 12:34:43 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2013, 12:25:32 PM
Exactly.

That was not exactly the subject of the poll.

If we're going by the strict wording of the poll, it's exactly the subject of the poll :D

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 12:36:56 PM
If we're going by the strict wording of the poll, it's exactly the subject of the poll :D

Well Spicey said he would not but he voted yes, saying he would understand somebody else doing it...so no it is not.  It is theoretical not you specifically.

Martinus almost certainly voted yes and he is unlikely to have a wife at any point in the present or future.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I think most people voting yes did so under the assumption that they had put all the appropriate effort into the situation and it had become intractable. Obviously, there is a gradient. The people in the article worked on their situation for years. It wasn't sudden or frivolous.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Emperor fhdz, is that really the best though? After all, we've already seen declines in marriages among those who cohabit before getting married.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2013, 08:36:36 AM
Part of the depression stemmed from his working 50-60 hours a week while I stayed home with three active toddlers and an infant who needed special care. Instead of coming home and helping me, he just worked longer hours, coming home to sleep eight hours, and then going back to the office. The more depressed I got, the less he was home, which led to more depression for me. Which also, by the way, led to more weight gain for me. And thoughts of suicide, though I left him before I ever got to the point of really considering it as an option.

So you left him because he wasn't meeting your needs. Much like Jaba left his gf because he didn't know how to meet hers. So why are you giving him such a hard time? Seems both breakups were in everyone's best interests.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:00:48 PM

Emperor fhdz, is that really the best though? After all, we've already seen declines in marriages among those who cohabit before getting married.

Well, it only solves one problem with relationships, which is that you ought to at least get the "my partner can do no wrong" shine out of the way before you commit to spending your lives together, since of course we all can do wrong - and sometimes really wrong. There are a myriad of other problems, too, but the "in-love" one is an important one to realize.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 12:38:31 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 12:36:56 PM

Well Spicey said he would not but he voted yes, saying he would understand somebody else doing it...so no it is not.  It is theoretical not you specifically.

Martinus almost certainly voted yes and he is unlikely to have a wife at any point in the present or future.

I voted yes.  But I fall under the same premise as Martinus, minus the pillow nibblage.

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 01:12:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:00:48 PM

Well, it only solves one problem with relationships, which is that you ought to at least get the "my partner can do no wrong" shine out of the way before you commit to spending your lives together, since of course we all can do wrong - and sometimes really wrong. There are a myriad of other problems, too, but the "in-love" one is an important one to realize.

Sure but it also seems like it could lead to people simply not getting married. Do we want to be Quebec?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

You know, marriage gets so nasty, especially when one is married to a whiny bitch, that I can see why some guys would opt for the "divorce when she gets too much butter" routine.  Many is the time that the lady was shedding for the wedding, and then when the tux is back at the rental counter she starts eating bon bons and big macs, forgetting to exercise, and having her ass grow to the size of both the aisle and center seat in economy class.

But some folks still do takes those vows pretty damn seriously.  If this is the case, than the guy becoming a fat enabler might help out.  Buy her a couple extra burgers, along with two fries.  Tell her about the supposed problems with artificial sweeteners and refuse to buy anything without hydrogenated oils - for her health.  After a while she won't even have the ability to move much, and that entire "til death do us part" business takes care of itself.  Oh, make sure there is good insurance.

Solving problems in marriage means long term commitments.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM