Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2013, 08:38:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2013, 08:36:30 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2013, 08:16:32 AM
That seems stupid but people, especially Americans, get married too quickly.

What's your gauge of that?

I think GF is only in favor of posthumous marriage.  Maybe on your deathbed if you are in a hurry.

Only if both are deadish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Phillip V

Grey Fox

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2013, 09:20:16 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2013, 09:15:39 AM
GF's been watching Dharma and Greg?

:shutup:

I don't know what that is.

Well, then where do you get the idea from American tv that people rush into marriage? It's not a very common motif, in fact they tend to drag relationships out for many seasons.

Barrister

He's pulling your leg.  He's from Quebec.  They don't do marriages there anymore.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 09:29:20 AM
He's pulling your leg.  He's from Quebec.  They don't do marriages there anymore.

Well yeah, I know about that.

It's just that people IRL get married much quicker than they do on tv.

Barrister

To go back to the original question...

No!

The typical marriage vow is "for richer and poorer, through sickness and in health".  It's not about 'just as long as you both are having fun'.

Weight gain as you age, and in particular weight gain through child birth, is perhaps not inevitable, but is pretty commonplace.  If you're going to decide to have children together, you'd better prepare yourself for the possibility your other half will gain weight.

Now I'm not a catholic and don't believe that divorce can never happen.  When it comes to weight gain, I would consider it if your partner just completely "gives up on themselves".  That is, gives up any attempt at a healthy diet, gives up any attempt at proper exercise, and just resigns themselves to sitting on the couch till their heart explodes, I would probably get out.

But someone who is making attempts at healthy eating, is getting exercise and leaving an active life, but has wound up 20, or even 100lb, overweight?  Well that's what you're signing up for when you get married.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 09:36:38 AM
The typical marriage vow is "for richer and poorer, through sickness and in health".  It's not about 'just as long as you both are having fun'.

The latter is what's common in practice these days.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2013, 09:33:31 AM

The leg pulling is the answer "TV".

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2013, 09:39:55 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2013, 09:33:31 AM

The leg pulling is the answer "TV".

Pretty dull. Even Marti does better.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2013, 09:39:10 AM

Well it shouldn't be. :mad:

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 10:05:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2013, 09:39:10 AM

Well it shouldn't be. :mad:

Why? Why should people who are unhappy stay together?

I mean I'm not saying they should immediately jump ship as no relationship is ever perfect all the time - but it seems that given our limited time here, why should someone stay with someone who is bringing them down?