Which City is worse? Detroit or Baltimore?

Started by Syt, May 21, 2009, 05:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which City is Worse?

Detroit
24 (77.4%)
Baltimore
3 (9.7%)
I'd rather be shot in Oxnard.
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2009, 06:51:30 AM
Definitely Detroit.  Every city has crime-ridden ghettos, so you might get an exaggerated view of Bawlmer since Seedy only reports bad shit from there.  There are definitely nice parts of Baltimore and it has attractions that make it worth visiting.

Detroit... not so much.  :(

We have urban spelunking...  ;)

Detroit has two major attractions which should draw people to the city.  The first is The Motown Museum; the second is The Detroit Institute of Arts.

The Motown Museum is where Motown Studios was located during its Detroit heyday.  There's memorabilia from the many acts that came out of Motown; there are guides who deliver anecdotes about the studio, there are films with the Motown stars and there's the snake pit itself where every Motown hit from that era was recorded.  Unfortunately the museum is away from the city center and there's not anything else around it.

The DIA has an outstanding collection of American, Flemish and Dutch Golden Age art and a good collection of Italian Renaissance, Islamic and African American Art; plus the Diego Rivera Murals.  Unlike the Motown Museum it has a good location; in the museum district and by Wayne State University.  Unfortunately none of the other Museums in the area are of the same caliber as the DIA, and no one is going to come to Detroit to see just one museum.

The attraction in the region that does draw people from out of town is The Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, Fairlane Estate (Henry Ford Home) and the Rouge River Assembly Plant.  Those present a nice, thick, gooey slice of Americana; one can see Edison's lab, George Washington Carver's birthplace, and the Wright Brother's Bicycle shop.  They're located in Dearborn, though, not Detroit.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Lettow77

I dont know about Detroit, but Memphis trumps baltimore.

We have the unfair handicap of more blacks, though.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Admiral Yi

I've had good times in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.  Titty bars are the worst I've ever been to though.

Went to Jazz Fest in Detroit one time.  I got the impression if you walked two blocks from the Rennaisance Center you were in downtown Mogadishu.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2009, 02:58:55 PM
Went to Jazz Fest in Detroit one time.  I got the impression if you walked two blocks from the Rennaisance Center you were in downtown Mogadishu.

I got the same impression from Milwaukee when I was there for GenCon 2000. :nerd:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2009, 06:36:55 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2009, 02:58:55 PM

I got the same impression from Milwaukee when I was there for GenCon 2000. :nerd:

You should have cast fireball.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2009, 06:48:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 21, 2009, 06:40:00 PM
You should have cast fireball.

I'm specced Arcane.  :(

I'm a Paladin with 18 charisma and 97 hit points. I can use my helm of disintegration and do one D4 damage as my half-elf mage wields his plus-five holy avenger.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 21, 2009, 06:56:45 PM
half-elf mage wields his plus-five holy avenger.

Mages cannot use holy avengers :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 06:58:34 PM

Send all complants to:

Seth McFarlane
c/o Fox Networks

Razgovory

Never been to either.  Though we have a Detroit contingent come to Jefferson City every year all the police and sherrif's deputies are on duty that night.  They are kinda rough.

East St. Louis is the worst I've seen.  When I was there it no longer even had a government.  So things like street lights no longer worked. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 06:58:34 PM

:rolleyes:

Maybe if somebody wasn't totally ignorant about D&D, he would know that a holy avenger can be used by any good aligned character as a +2 weapon without any other special abilities.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2009, 07:39:11 PM:rolleyes:

Maybe if somebody wasn't totally ignorant about D&D, he would know that a holy avenger can be used by any good aligned character as a +2 weapon without any other special abilities.

And you call MMORPGers dorks. Your Dungeon Master Screen just fell over.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2009, 08:06:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2009, 07:39:11 PM:rolleyes:

And you call MMORPGers dorks. Your Dungeon Master Screen just fell over.
MMORPGers ARE dorks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p