Which City is worse? Detroit or Baltimore?

Started by Syt, May 21, 2009, 05:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which City is Worse?

Detroit
24 (77.4%)
Baltimore
3 (9.7%)
I'd rather be shot in Oxnard.
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Syt

Seedy's and Sav's posts made me wonder. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Must be one of the toughest polls ever to grace this board. I'll ponder my vote.

Josquius

Never been to either and don't care about either. You hear lots of Detroit though, Baltimore not so much.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Caliga

Definitely Detroit.  Every city has crime-ridden ghettos, so you might get an exaggerated view of Bawlmer since Seedy only reports bad shit from there.  There are definitely nice parts of Baltimore and it has attractions that make it worth visiting.

Detroit... not so much.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

Tough call.  I think I'd have to vote Detroit.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Savonarola

At the moment Detroit is worse off.  The financial crisis devastated the city since sub-prime mortgages were targeted at minorities.  The restructurings of the American auto-makers have driven up unemployment and migration from the state and the slump in sales for all auto makers have hurt the foreign car manufacturers who have their US headquarters here and the suppliers.  Declining property values, unemployment, migration and low corporate profits have decimated the tax base and both the State of Michigan and the City of Detroit have had to cut back on services.  In addition to this Detroit has faced a crisis in leadership; with 3 mayors in a year and an even crazier than usual council.  Plus the school system experienced graft and corruption on an unprecedented level.

Usually Detroit and Baltimore are near each other in crime statistics (and I believe Camden, NJ is usually worse than both); and the FBI loves the Baltimore city government as much as that of Detroit.  The problem with Detroit is it still is largely a one industry town.  A prolonged slump in auto sales devastates the region.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Cleveland :contract:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Having lived in the neighborhhod of each city for a number of years, I can say that Detroit is worse.  Balmer has some bad neighborhoods, but Detroit is the bad neighborhood.  Any decent part of Detroit is not in Detroit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 10:11:33 AM
Cleveland :contract:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Pffft, even the people making that video admitted Detroit was worse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?