Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility

Started by garbon, February 22, 2013, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 07:04:43 PM
Don't know, but if two similar organizations are having the same problem then the a policy enacted by one but not the other doesn't seem like it's the cause.

In other news, Kittens were had by all.

Dude, you're the one who started flipping out about my atheism and whether or not I should be allowed to have an opinion :D

As for the other point, the Roman and Orthodox churches are different in a lot of ways. I wouldn't be so quick to discount the possibility.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Meri seemed unhappy.  I just find it tiresome to get this sort of pontificating about the Catholic church by people who normally don't care about the Catholic church.  It's like getting a lecture about heterosexual marriage from Marty.  Or getting a lecture about the US government from Marty.  Or getting a lecture about concepts of law from Marty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

I do care about the Catholic Church. I care about the good things it brings to society and I care about the harm it brings to society. It's not like it operates in a vacuum; it's an historical, international, cultural institution.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 07:35:19 PM
I do care about the Catholic Church. I care about the good things it brings to society and I care about the harm it brings to society. It's not like it operates in a vacuum; it's an historical, international, cultural institution.

Heh it's a good point; I have no choice but to care about the church to an extent, as my in-laws are members of it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 07:35:19 PM

Alright, fine.  I misjudge you. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Too much kneeling in papist church for me. I like fiery sermons and dunking in water.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 22, 2013, 07:55:18 PM
Too much kneeling in papist church for me. I like fiery sermons and dunking in water.

And giant Robo-Jesus.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 22, 2013, 07:56:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 22, 2013, 07:55:18 PM

And giant Robo-Jesus.

He lords over I-75.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

To help Raz out, because he seems like a nice enough fellow that is getting dogpiled, and not because I agree with him at all (I don't):

Priests getting married vs. priests living in a state of marriage is quite different...if priests are allowed to get married, that implies they are going to be out pursuing women for marriage and dating. For a variety of reasons (mostly regarding some catholic attitudes/teachings regarding sex), that could impair a priests ability to lead a community along the lines that the Vatican wants.

Regarding Malthus's statement that there isn't a religious reason for not having married priests, I think this is clearly wrong. The vatican seems to be exhibiting a strong preference for unmarried priests, but not to the point that it is a deal breaker in regions where its authority has been more tenuous. The church has a religious reason for wanting priests unmarried, and also a religious reason for wanting to have authority of the maximum number of churches. A compromise between the two competing objectives doesn't mean there isn't a religious justification for either.

Regarding the idea that there isn't a justification because of the historical precedent for marriage, I'd point out that (at least in the Catholic tradition) the leaders of the early church were unmarried (jesus, peter, etc) and there was a very early emphasis on celibacy as being a more holy condition. Deviations from that can be explained by both the preceding paragraph and that the vatican didn't have functional control of the church in many countries in medieval times (among others).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on February 22, 2013, 09:00:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2013, 08:51:10 PM
-snip-

What does this have to do with Robo-Jesus?

Notice the absence of a Robo-Woman. Robo-Jesus is clearly not married and is against priests getting married.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014