Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility

Started by garbon, February 22, 2013, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 05:02:12 PM
If only they let priests marry.  Then Fahdiz and Meri would go back to be Catholics. :(

Nah. I'd still have that nitpicky issue about not believing in a god, much less the very particular Christian god.
and the horse you rode in on

merithyn

If only they let priests marry.  Then Fahdiz and Meri would go back to be Catholics. :(

Why? Is that suddenly going to allow women the opportunity to be priests? Or alter my opinion on abortion and birth control?  Will it stop them from calling the LGBT community unnatural and evil? Or change the fact that I don't believe in transmutation, the need for confession, or that there's only one "true" faith?

Yeah, I'll be keeping my distance.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Unless I'm mistaken, priests could marry in western Europe in the middle ages too. In Ireland and Scotland it was normal, at least. If the pope can resign, might as well bring this back too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

I was under the impression Priests were made celibate to prevent them from leaving their progeny vast amounts of property. 
PDH!

merithyn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 22, 2013, 05:24:45 PM
I was under the impression Priests were made celibate to prevent them from leaving their progeny vast amounts of property.

That's my understanding, too.

Darth Wagtaros

Well it is no longer an issue so the celibacyu thing is now no longer relevant.  If the godless Protestants can pull it off so too can the Mother Church.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Or if they let priests marry gays, Martinus would return to the church.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Iormlund on February 22, 2013, 04:50:31 PM
I thought only previously-married ex-Anglicans were kosher.

Nope. Ukranian Catholics have married priests.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 22, 2013, 05:32:20 PM
Well it is no longer an issue so the celibacyu thing is now no longer relevant.  If the godless Protestants can pull it off so too can the Mother Church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPFuuLVoCrs

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on February 22, 2013, 05:10:22 PM

Why? Is that suddenly going to allow women the opportunity to be priests? Or alter my opinion on abortion and birth control?  Will it stop them from calling the LGBT community unnatural and evil? Or change the fact that I don't believe in transmutation, the need for confession, or that there's only one "true" faith?

Yeah, I'll be keeping my distance.

Oh, so your opinion really aren't relevant here are they?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Oh and before Fahdiz and Meri start having kittens I was using them as an example to make a larger point.  Why should the Catholic church cater the opinions of people who aren't interested in joining it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 22, 2013, 05:33:18 PM

Or if they let priests marry gays, Martinus would return to the church.

No, they'll still have the prohibition against sorcery.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:09:33 PM
Oh, so your opinion really aren't relevant here are they?

If you aren't Catholic you aren't allowed to have opinions on the Catholic Church?

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:14:03 PM
Why should the Catholic church cater the opinions of people who aren't interested in joining it.

I'm pretty sure the Cardinal in question isn't talking about catering to people who will not become Catholics or go back to the Catholic Church. He appears to be interested in a practical solution to what is in effect a staffing issue.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:15:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:14:03 PM
Why should the Catholic church cater the opinions of people who aren't interested in joining it.

I'm pretty sure the Cardinal in question isn't talking about catering to people who will not become Catholics or go back to the Catholic Church. He appears to be interested in a practical solution to what is in effect a staffing issue.

Maybe he don't think he is...