Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility

Started by garbon, February 22, 2013, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2013, 01:36:07 PM
:x

What a waste of good peanut butter.

You are just Little Miss Critic today, aren't you?  Goddamn.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2013, 01:36:07 PM
:x

What a waste of good peanut butter.

You are just Little Miss Critic today, aren't you?  Goddamn.

I've only critiqued your complaints in two instances. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 01:35:35 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2013, 01:31:31 PM
Everyone should abstain from celery. That goes without saying.

Screw you, and the peanut butter that goes down the middle.

Chunky, or smoothie?

'cause I'm not screwing with chunky.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: dps on February 25, 2013, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2013, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2013, 11:07:43 AM
It is plausable that this response was exacerbated by two factors: (1) a staffing shortage; and (2) the indulgence with which "sexual sinning" was viewed by the Church.
On point 1 I think you're wrong. The overwhelming majority of these cases came before the shortage of priests or seminarians. As I think the cover up's are far more about an abuse of power and the protection of an institution over the vulnerable than anything else. The Church was hardly unique in that, as I've said, but is perhaps uniquely harmed by it because it undermines their moral credibility.

I thought that the shortage of priests went back to the 1960s, or even earlier.  Am I mistaken in that?

QuoteMalthus, all your references go back to scripture. But in catholicism scripture isn't the only source of doctrine: tradition also is one, as well as major church councils. For instance, while I am aware that some popes were married, the vast majority have not been, and that crosses all the historically documented eras as well as the last 1000 years or so. The preference for celibate clergy is longstanding and well established.
Peter was married. Aside from that there are early 4th century Church Councils that prohibit bishops from marrying and they mention that the Roman Rite already had a tradition of total clerical celibacy.

I noticed that Malthus, in responding to AR, skipped over the point about church councils.

Not seeing why a church council is relevant in this situation. Allegedly, all these councils did was mention that a tradition of celebacy existed in one rite of the Church. They extend the tradition back in time to the 4th century, but they do not provide a reason why it arose it the first place. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2013, 02:44:19 PM
Chunky, or smoothie?

What the hell?  What's the point of peanut butter without chunks of peanuts?  That's not peanut butter, that's peanut spackling.

derspiess

Yeah, I have a hard time trusting anyone who doesn't like chunky peanut butter.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 02:57:10 PM
Chunky, or smoothie?

What the hell?  What's the point of peanut butter without chunks of peanuts?  That's not peanut butter, that's peanut spackling.

I had the same position until I had braces and only could eat creamy for a long time. I now exclusively prefer creamy. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2013, 03:03:47 PM

Would you say it's a "bar to trust"?
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on February 25, 2013, 03:04:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2013, 03:03:47 PM

Would you say it's a "bar to trust"?

I'm saying I wouldn't buy creamy peanut butter even if it only cost a tiddler :contract:

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 02:57:10 PM
Chunky, or smoothie?

Eating is one thing; screwing another.  :P

dps

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2013, 02:48:56 PM
Quote from: dps on February 25, 2013, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2013, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2013, 11:07:43 AM
It is plausable that this response was exacerbated by two factors: (1) a staffing shortage; and (2) the indulgence with which "sexual sinning" was viewed by the Church.
On point 1 I think you're wrong. The overwhelming majority of these cases came before the shortage of priests or seminarians. As I think the cover up's are far more about an abuse of power and the protection of an institution over the vulnerable than anything else. The Church was hardly unique in that, as I've said, but is perhaps uniquely harmed by it because it undermines their moral credibility.

I thought that the shortage of priests went back to the 1960s, or even earlier.  Am I mistaken in that?

QuoteMalthus, all your references go back to scripture. But in catholicism scripture isn't the only source of doctrine: tradition also is one, as well as major church councils. For instance, while I am aware that some popes were married, the vast majority have not been, and that crosses all the historically documented eras as well as the last 1000 years or so. The preference for celibate clergy is longstanding and well established.
Peter was married. Aside from that there are early 4th century Church Councils that prohibit bishops from marrying and they mention that the Roman Rite already had a tradition of total clerical celibacy.

I noticed that Malthus, in responding to AR, skipped over the point about church councils.

Not seeing why a church council is relevant in this situation. Allegedly, all these councils did was mention that a tradition of celebacy existed in one rite of the Church. They extend the tradition back in time to the 4th century, but they do not provide a reason why it arose it the first place. 

His point was that councils, not just the Bible, are sources of Catholic Church doctrine.

Ed Anger

All you crunchy PB fags need to be sent to a camp.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive