Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility

Started by garbon, February 22, 2013, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Hey guys, Raz doesn't want married priests, ok?
and the horse you rode in on

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 24, 2013, 06:04:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 24, 2013, 03:49:35 PM
So yes, sex scandals are a direct result of celibacy.

Sex scandals don't impact the priesthood at any greater percentage than in any other profession.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on February 24, 2013, 08:26:22 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2013, 03:43:17 PM
The Church's position would be that if you can't don't become a priest. It's not for you, you haven't really been called. Or you've been called to another position, like a deacon.

I don't think it's celibacy that leads to sex scandals.

Paul was actually wiser on this point than the Church.

It isn't that celebacy "causes" sex scandals - the "cause" is each individual choice to indulge. Rather, it is that celebacy makes such scandals more likely, as celebacy is (as Paul recognized) too difficult for many people to hack. Making a bright-line rule that one cannot have sex and keep one's position breeds trouble very predictably. Even if you assume that celebacy is in itself a good thing (obviously, I don't, but that is neither here nor there), it would be better to adopt Paul's dictum of "better to marry than to burn with passion", as opposed to the Church's position of "no sex at all". Much worse is that the Church has apparently extended all sorts of "understanding" (that is, covering-up for) priests who cannot keep to their vows - wouldn't it be better to allow priests the normal human solice of marriage if they want it?

This is another reason why the Catholic Church is in so much hot water over the pedophilia scandals - it's because from its perspective, all kinds of "vow breaking" - whether with a chick, a guy or a kid - has been so far perceived in pretty much the same light - i.e. a sin, but at the same time something that deserves compassion and understanding. Anyone who has more than two brain cells and is not a senile fool trapped in ancient ritual can see how much of a fucked up perspective this is.

Martinus

Btw, Sheilbh, thanks for completely ignoring my points made earlier. ;)

Martinus

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2013, 04:04:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 24, 2013, 06:04:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 24, 2013, 03:49:35 PM
So yes, sex scandals are a direct result of celibacy.

Sex scandals don't impact the priesthood at any greater percentage than in any other profession.

No, I'm not.  But you're being your usual frothy faggity self with the same old hang-ups, so pointing out statistics won't work.

Martinus

It's not about statistics (although I wouldn't be surprised if the catholic church had more active pedophiles than other professions), it's about institutionalized systemic tradition of covering up criminal abuse, by an institution that pretends to be a moral guide for the masses.

I'm shocked I even have to spell it out for you. You are acting worse than derspiess defending the GOP.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2013, 04:04:50 AM
No, he's entirely right.

QuoteBtw, Sheilbh, thanks for completely ignoring my points made earlier.
I think CdM answered them. They're based on a foundations of sand.

QuoteIt's not about statistics (although I wouldn't be surprised if the catholic church had more active pedophiles than other professions), it's about institutionalized systemic tradition of covering up criminal abuse, by an institution that pretends to be a moral guide for the masses.
But it is about statistics. If celibacy makes sex scandals more likely to happen then the fact that there's less sex scandals suggests a minimal link to celibacy. Unless celibacy also makes institutions cover things up?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2013, 07:08:25 AM
I'm shocked I even have to spell it out for you. You are acting worse than derspiess defending the GOP.

Meh, fuck you.  If I want to watch a discussion on the Catholic Church by two fags and a Jew, I'll go to my local free-trade coffee shop.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2013, 07:17:10 AM
Unless celibacy also makes institutions cover things up?

Oh, it definitely does. Parents feel much strongly, on a psychological level, about punishing child abuse than people who have no children (funnily enough you and CdM are the only people in this thread who think otherwise and you are both childless). So professional solidarity between celibate priests is definitely a factor contributing to the prevalence of cover ups in an organisation such as the catholic church.

Coming to think about it, it's another strong argument against compulsory celibacy (as it is against male-only priesthood) - any organization that gives power uniformly to representatives of a certain demographic is going to suffer from the lack of alternative perspective offered by people it excludes.

It is quite clear in this case that by excluding people with children from power, the catholic church is suffering from an attitude that is criminally dismissive of the severity of child abuse.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2013, 08:02:40 AM
Parents feel much strongly, on a psychological level, about punishing child abuse than people who have no children

Is that a good thing, though?  Viewing wrong-doing in an overly emotional manner, rather than dispassionately, leads to lynch mobs, not justice.

Sheilbh

I don't buy it Marty. I think the cover up was an institution trying to protect its own and a cultural failure, not because they weren't married. Something similar went on in numerous child homes in this country, and in the BBC. I think it's about power more than anything:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n21/andrew-ohagan/light-entertainment
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Parents feel much strongly, on a psychological level, about punishing child abuse than people who have no children

Man I don't know.  I am way to tired to care as much about child abuse in far away places now that I using up my energy raising kids.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2013, 07:17:10 AM
Unless celibacy also makes institutions cover things up?

Oh, it definitely does. Parents feel much strongly, on a psychological level, about punishing child abuse than people who have no children (funnily enough you and CdM are the only people in this thread who think otherwise and you are both childless). So professional solidarity between celibate priests is definitely a factor contributing to the prevalence of cover ups in an organisation such as the catholic church.

Coming to think about it, it's another strong argument against compulsory celibacy (as it is against male-only priesthood) - any organization that gives power uniformly to representatives of a certain demographic is going to suffer from the lack of alternative perspective offered by people it excludes.

It is quite clear in this case that by excluding people with children from power, the catholic church is suffering from an attitude that is criminally dismissive of the severity of child abuse.

And this isn't idle fact, it's cold hard conjecture.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: dps on February 25, 2013, 08:37:08 AM

Is that a good thing, though?  Viewing wrong-doing in an overly emotional manner, rather than dispassionately, leads to lynch mobs, not justice.

I think that the more diverse the background and the viewpoint of various people making up acollective body, the more likely such body is to arrive at a correct decision.

I am not saying that the decision should be given over to concerned mothers only but it is clear that giving it up entirely to single guys is a recipe to disaster as well.