Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility

Started by garbon, February 22, 2013, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:43:10 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 22, 2013, 06:41:30 PM
So basically, Raz jumped the shark before we were 10 posts in. Got it. Now I remember why I don't respond to him.

Oh, are you going to go full Grumbler now?

That might be the only counter to full blown Raztard.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 22, 2013, 06:42:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:37:11 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:28:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:26:32 PM
:yeahright:

How is he wrong?  :blink:

How is he right?  It's an absurd statement that there is no religious reason for why the Catholic church has celibate priests.  You might not accept these reasons as good enough, but to say they don't exist is silly.

It's not me that doesn't think there is any religious reason against having married priests, it's the Church. How can the same church say group A can't have married priests, it is absolutely forbidden because of pressing religious reasons ... but group B, why they can have married priests no problemo? It's the same religion in both cases, right?

Again, not having married priests, but priests getting married.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:31:56 PM
I was pointing out your reality is materialistic.  Moving closer to your reality seems pointless for the church.

I am still not sure what this has to do with married priests.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on February 22, 2013, 06:44:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:43:10 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 22, 2013, 06:41:30 PM
So basically, Raz jumped the shark before we were 10 posts in. Got it. Now I remember why I don't respond to him.

Oh, are you going to go full Grumbler now?

That might be the only counter to full blown Raztard.

The cure is fare worse then the disease.  My point still stand, why should the church take the advice of people who have no interest in joining it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:44:40 PM

Who is talking about priests getting married? Besides you, I mean.

EDIT: My bad, it appears the Cardinal suggested it.

Still, it seems you could solve the staffing problem in the Catholic Church by doing what the Easterns already do - permitting married men to be ordained to the priesthood.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:45:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:31:56 PM
I was pointing out your reality is materialistic.  Moving closer to your reality seems pointless for the church.

I am still not sure what this has to do with married priests.

You said move closer to reality, but this is reality as you perceive it.  In the reality as you perceptive it the whole thing is a waste of time since there is no God.  Moving closer to your version of reality who ultimately result in the end of the church.  So why should they take into consideration your reality.

Malthus

Seems a trivial distinction. All imposing a prohibiton on priests getting married does is force those interested in the priesthood to put off ordination until they are married. Seems to me that once you accept priests *being* married, it would make sense to accept priests *getting* married. I mean really, why not?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:50:57 PM
You said move closer to reality, but this is reality as you perceive it.  In the reality as you perceptive it the whole thing is a waste of time since there is no God.  Moving closer to your version of reality who ultimately result in the end of the church.  So why should they take into consideration your reality.

The reality is a priest shortage. I thought that's what we were all talking about.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:48:05 PM

Who is talking about priests getting married? Besides you, I mean.

EDIT: My bad, it appears the Cardinal suggested it.

Still, it seems you could solve the staffing problem in the Catholic Church by doing what the Easterns already do - permitting married men to be ordained to the priesthood.

Would it?
http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19990729orthodox6.asp

It would seem that the the Eastern Orthodox church has priest problems as well.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 22, 2013, 06:52:34 PM

Seems a trivial distinction. All imposing a prohibiton on priests getting married does is force those interested in the priesthood to put off ordination until they are married. Seems to me that once you accept priests *being* married, it would make sense to accept priests *getting* married. I mean really, why not?

I don't know, the actions of becoming something and the state of being are rather distinct.  One is active and one is passive.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:54:04 PM
Would it?

I bet you'd see an influx of new Roman priests if the restrictions were lifted. The Easterns don't have those restrictions, so their reasons for shortage can't possibly include that one.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:56:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:54:04 PM
Would it?

I bet you'd see an influx of new Roman priests if the restrictions were lifted. The Easterns don't have those restrictions, so their reasons for shortage can't possibly include that one.

Or perhaps the reason for shortages in both are caused by some other problem that doesn't involve marriage.  That would seem to be a more logical answer.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 07:00:09 PM
Or perhaps the reason for shortages in both are caused by some other problem that doesn't involve marriage.  That would seem to be a more logical answer.

Oh, okay - what's the problem then?

Eddie Teach

The more logical answer would be that there are a variety of different reasons and they shouldn't be discounted completely because they don't explain the shortage entirely.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 07:02:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

Oh, okay - what's the problem then?

Don't know, but if two similar organizations are having the same problem then the a policy enacted by one but not the other doesn't seem like it's the cause.

In other news, Kittens were had by all.