Cardinal: Married Catholic priests a possibility

Started by garbon, February 22, 2013, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:14:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:09:33 PM
Oh, so your opinion really aren't relevant here are they?

If you aren't Catholic you aren't allowed to have opinions on the Catholic Church?

No but endorement of certain reforms seem a bit hollow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:17:31 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:15:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:14:03 PM
Why should the Catholic church cater the opinions of people who aren't interested in joining it.

I'm pretty sure the Cardinal in question isn't talking about catering to people who will not become Catholics or go back to the Catholic Church. He appears to be interested in a practical solution to what is in effect a staffing issue.

Maybe he don't think he is...

I'm not sure how to parse that.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:18:19 PM
No but endorement of certain reforms seem a bit hollow.

a) Who's endorsing reforms? I noted that married priests are, in fact, permitted in certain Rites of the Church, so it cannot possibly be forbidden by God.

b) Seeing a venerable institution adapt to reality is something which benefits us all :)

Malthus

Why should the Catholic church cater the opinions of people who aren't interested in joining it.

I'm pretty sure the Cardinal in question isn't talking about catering to people who will not become Catholics or go back to the Catholic Church. He appears to be interested in a practical solution to what is in effect a staffing issue.

Yup. Also, the staffing issue is a self-imposed burden that has no real religious justification.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

For you, the Catholic church becoming atheist would be "adapting to reality".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 22, 2013, 06:23:04 PM

Yup. Also, the staffing issue is a self-imposed burden that has no real religious justification.

:yeahright:

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:23:23 PM

:huh:

1) There exist married Catholic priests who are in full communion with the Church.
2) The Roman Rite currently does not allow married Catholic priests.
3) The solution to the staffing problem in the Catholic Church, because of 1), need not exclude the acceptance of married Roman priests.

That's what I'm talking about, Raz. Not atheism or anything else.

fhdz

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:27:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:23:23 PM

:huh:

1) There exist married Catholic priests who are in full communion with the Church.
2) The Roman Rite currently does not allow married Catholic priests.
3) The solution to the staffing problem in the Catholic Church, because of 1), need not exclude the acceptance of married Roman priests.

That's what I'm talking about, Raz. Not atheism or anything else.

I was pointing out your reality is materialistic.  Moving closer to your reality seems pointless for the church.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:28:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:26:32 PM

How is he wrong?  :blink:

How is he right?  It's an absurd statement that there is no religious reason for why the Catholic church has celibate priests.  You might not accept these reasons as good enough, but to say they don't exist is silly.

Malthus

How can it have religious justification where there are in fact married Catholic priests, without there being any religious problem with that?

I can see the Church having an issue if Catholic priests wish to add statues of Ganesh to Churches, because that's, well, a trifle too ecumenical.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 22, 2013, 06:39:44 PM

How can it have religious justification where there are in fact married Catholic priests, without there being any religious problem with that?

I can see the Church having an issue if Catholic priests wish to add statues of Ganesh to Churches, because that's, well, a trifle too ecumenical.  :D

Not married priests, priests getting married :contract:

merithyn

So basically, Raz jumped the shark before we were 10 posts in. Got it. Now I remember why I don't respond to him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 06:37:11 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 06:28:18 PM

How is he wrong?  :blink:

How is he right?  It's an absurd statement that there is no religious reason for why the Catholic church has celibate priests.  You might not accept these reasons as good enough, but to say they don't exist is silly.

It's not me that doesn't think there is any religious reason against having married priests, it's the Church. How can the same church say group A can't have married priests, it is absolutely forbidden because of pressing religious reasons ... but group B, why they can have married priests no problemo? It's the same religion in both cases, right?

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on February 22, 2013, 06:41:30 PM
So basically, Raz jumped the shark before we were 10 posts in. Got it. Now I remember why I don't respond to him.

Oh, are you going to go full Grumbler now?