"Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause"

Started by Berkut, February 21, 2013, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I don't think the party ever regarded Bush as a conservative within the framework of the party's ideological spectrum.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2013, 06:19:29 PM
I don't think the party ever regarded Bush as a conservative within the framework of the party's ideological spectrum.

I bet I can look at videos GOP conventions were they say he is in fact a conservative.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 06:13:53 PM
And this will be different for Rubio how?

For one we're talking about a primary dynamic, in which being labeled a far right conservative by the New York Times is not necessarily a handicap.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 06:24:53 PM

I bet I can look at videos GOP conventions were they say he is in fact a conservative.

Of course they said that. He had to win a GOP primary.  :lol:

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 21, 2013, 05:55:44 PM
Bush II was part of the short-lived "compassionate conservative" movement, which was anchored around concepts like lots of Republican-flavored handouts to old people and the poor along with being nice to Mexicans and such. It lacked any real direction on foreign policy, so when foreign policy became the issue of the first term of the Bush Presidency the neo-cons ensconced in DoD positions and other parts of his administration teamed up with the corporatists like Cheney and ran away with the football.

That's an interesting way of putting it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I read an article the other day from the Washington Post about how Bush was actually one of the best humanitarian presidents the US ever had due to an anti-aids bill and various whatnot.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 02:44:30 PM
What's weird to me is that many conservative Christians I've spoken with actually believe in evolution (though inevitably they say God guided it) and global warming.  So I'm not sure why GOP politicians trying to shore up the hardcore fundamentalist base are REQUIRED to pretend that they don't believe in either one of them. :hmm:

Global warming isn't a religious issue, or even a social issue--it's an economic issue.

fhdz

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2013, 07:09:43 PM
Global warming isn't a religious issue, or even a social issue--it's an economic issue.

It has an economic piece to it, certainly, but really it's an ecological issue.
and the horse you rode in on

dps

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 07:13:24 PM
Quote from: dps on February 21, 2013, 07:09:43 PM

It has an economic piece to it, certainly, but really it's an ecological issue.

So are you suggesting that people who are Christians are less likely to be in favor of protecting the environment, or more likely, or are you getting at something else entirely?

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on February 21, 2013, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 21, 2013, 05:55:44 PM
Bush II was part of the short-lived "compassionate conservative" movement, which was anchored around concepts like lots of Republican-flavored handouts to old people and the poor along with being nice to Mexicans and such. It lacked any real direction on foreign policy, so when foreign policy became the issue of the first term of the Bush Presidency the neo-cons ensconced in DoD positions and other parts of his administration teamed up with the corporatists like Cheney and ran away with the football.

That's an interesting way of putting it.

I think it was pretty much on the mark.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

I can sort of see that.  Conservatism is the politics of assimilation, so it makes sense that they would want to turn disgusting, freakish, worthless fags into more stable, proper, decent people.  Creating a kind of normalcy for their relationships might help.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 06:27:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 06:13:53 PM
And this will be different for Rubio how?

For one we're talking about a primary dynamic, in which being labeled a far right conservative by the New York Times is not necessarily a handicap.

Oh those evil New Yorkers!  I seem to recall Bush running for a primary as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2013, 06:28:47 PM

There must be something really obvious that I'm missing here.  Why don't you spell it out for me.

fhdz

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2013, 07:19:33 PM
So are you suggesting that people who are Christians are less likely to be in favor of protecting the environment, or more likely, or are you getting at something else entirely?

I'd say self-identifying evangelical Christians are less likely to be in favor of protecting the environment than other groups. I freely acknowledge that assertion is based on anecdotal evidence rather than rigorous statistical evidence.

But that wasn't really my point - my point was that climate change isn't so much an economic issue as it is an ecological issue - it has economic impact, but that isn't really the same thing.
and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 07:43:02 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2013, 06:28:47 PM

There must be something really obvious that I'm missing here.  Why don't you spell it out for me.

Even if you're not a conservative, you have to say you are if you're going to be elected as a republican.