Iran test fires missile capable of reaching US bases or Israel

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2009, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2009, 09:39:50 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 21, 2009, 08:34:03 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2009, 07:42:17 AM
Iran becoming nuclear, which is probably inevitable given the current lack of balls in the west to do *anything* about it, is going to be a disaster.

How do you propose to stop Iran?
He already said how, strike their infrastructure.
That's not "how". That's an objective. You may just as well propose "beat Iran in a war" as a solution.

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2009, 12:06:40 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 21, 2009, 11:42:43 AM
I am not sure if the global economy can handle shutting down the straits during the ensuing War, and I am not sure how much influence Iran still has in Basra.  If neither of these are likely to pose problems, then sure, let us attack Iran in the hopes of stalling for time.

Translation: We don't have the balls to do anything.

Pretty much, yes. Or do you think my statements were wrong?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on May 21, 2009, 01:54:31 PM
Iran becoming nuclear, which is probably inevitable given the current lack of balls in the west to do *anything* about it, is going to be a disaster.

That's not "how". That's an objective. You may just as well propose "beat Iran in a war" as a solution.
Do you want an order of battle and a target list?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on May 21, 2009, 02:26:09 AM
Last time I checked it wasn't the Iranians setting up colonies in foreign countries to pacify ultra-right religious fanatics who think they have a right to another country's land.    :Joos

:bleeding:

Your idiocy removes your right to get upset with the Nation of Islam.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Fuck up their infrastructure is an objective.  Strike it is how.

Ed Anger

With death rays.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2009, 02:29:17 PM
Fuck up their infrastructure is an objective.  Strike it is how.
Not necessarily.  What are you trying to accomplish by fucking up their infrastructure.  At an operational level, fucking up their infrastructure might be an objective, but it could never be a strategic objective.  It is at a strategic level that leaders must think.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2009, 01:58:34 PM
Our military is stretched pretty thin as is, and if the last 10 years (Lebanon, Afghanistan, arguably Iraq) it is that air strikes don't win wars alone. 

I don't think a full scale war with Iran is a smart move at this point, and I think the true can be said from the Iranian perspective, as their economy would collapse pretty quickly without oil exports.  We can talk about balls and air strikes all we want, but this is far more suited to an internet forum than a battle field in Iran.

Probably the best argument to have is on the rationality of Iranian leadership, which is a very, very important argument to have.  A full scale war would be retarded.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2009, 01:46:09 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 21, 2009, 11:42:43 AM

I am not sure if the global economy can handle shutting down the straits during the ensuing War, and I am not sure how much influence Iran still has in Basra.  If neither of these are likely to pose problems, then sure, let us attack Iran in the hopes of stalling for time.
Well, obviously you'd have to strike their military first to prevent them from having such capability.
Really?  That would work?  Wouldn't a preventative strike just make every other nutball want nukes that much faster?  Once you have them and can delier them or give them to the crazies you are kind of immune to attacks eh?
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on May 21, 2009, 02:36:25 PM
Our military is stretched pretty thin as is, and if the last 10 years (Lebanon, Afghanistan, arguably Iraq) it is that air strikes don't win wars alone. 
Depends on what the aim of the war is. If the aim is to destroy a targets capability to make nukes or cripple their economy, I think air power could do that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Queequeg on May 21, 2009, 02:36:25 PM

Who said anything about winning a war?

Is someone trying to make the argument that the West (the US in particular) could not stop Iran from building a nuclear weapon through massive airpower applied against both their nuclear program *and* their political and economic infrastructure?

You can argue that perhaps it would not be worth it - a nuclear Iran is a better option than an Iran demolished by concentrated airstrikes at their economy and such. You can argue that the amount of damage this would inflict on Iran would be immoral.

I don't think you can argue that it would not work though. Of course it would. We could destroy their national economy and make them a lot more worried about how to keep the lights on than building nukes.

IMO, we don't even have to actually do it - we just have to be willing to do it if necessary, and Iran would back down. Of course, they know that we would never actually do this, so an empty threat is the worst possible thing to do, so it doesn't really matter. But that is my point - this is a lack of will, not a lack of capability.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 21, 2009, 02:38:55 PM
Really?  That would work?  Wouldn't a preventative strike just make every other nutball want nukes that much faster?  Once you have them and can delier them or give them to the crazies you are kind of immune to attacks eh?

I can't think of any way to prevent nutballs from wanting nukes. Can you?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 02:01:05 PM
:bleeding:

Your idiocy removes your right to get upset with the Nation of Islam.
Both the Iranian and Israeli governments are far more religion based than the modern norm (by itself, not an evil by most means).  The big difference is that Israel is far more civilized and downplays irrational things like the Palestinian settlements, while Iran hangs gay teenagers and talks about nuking sovereign nations while acting mostly rationally. 

Obviously the Israeli government is superior, but I don't think we are dealing with polar opposites here.  Give Siegebreaker a beard and an Iranian passport and he wouldn't be that much different in the Revolutionary Guard.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2009, 02:41:47 PM
Is someone trying to make the argument that the West (the US in particular) could not stop Iran from building a nuclear weapon through massive airpower applied against both their nuclear program *and* their political and economic infrastructure?

In so doing we would demolish most of the Middle East.  Insurgencies in Afghanistan and Iraq would spiral out of control as would Shi'ite minorities throughout the greater Middle East, from Pakistan to Saudi Arabia and Lebanon. 

Videos of thousands of dead Iranian civilians would be everywhere, the Twelver cult of Martyrdom would go nuts, etc....

You are looking at this as an isolated incident.  A prolonged bombing campaign against Iran wouldn't be.  That's an impossibility.  The western will to fight relatively unsupported insurgencies in Afghanistan and Iraq is waning thin as is, imagine if Iran put all their remaining manpower and weapons behind undermining our efforts in the Middle East?