Iran test fires missile capable of reaching US bases or Israel

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2009, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I don't think what Timmay meant with Israel being "done for" was increased Iranian power and influence in the region. No sane person would say that Iran won't flex its new muscles a bit if they get them. Of course they will.

The risk of Israel being nuked can be very low compared to certainty and still be unacceptable. This also is not hard to grasp. Say that the risk is 1%. Does that mean that Israel will be done for? Likely not, and shrill outbursts to that effect are a bit ridiculous. Does it mean that it's OK to allow Iran to get the bomb? Likely not. It's a sliding scale.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2009, 08:31:18 AM
No, I am saying that arguments of the form "Y cannot possibly happen because country Z is much to rational to do such a thing!" have been made time and time again, and been wrong time and time again. I simply provided a couple of examples.

QFT.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 09:25:25 AM
No, I am saying that arguments of the form "Y cannot possibly happen because country Z is much to rational to do such a thing!" have been made time and time again, and been wrong time and time again. I simply provided a couple of examples.

QFT.

But it has also been right time and time again.  Just saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2009, 09:05:36 AM
I don't think what Timmay meant with Israel being "done for" was increased Iranian power and influence in the region. No sane person would say that Iran won't flex its new muscles a bit if they get them. Of course they will.

The risk of Israel being nuked can be very low compared to certainty and still be unacceptable. This also is not hard to grasp. Say that the risk is 1%. Does that mean that Israel will be done for? Likely not, and shrill outbursts to that effect are a bit ridiculous. Does it mean that it's OK to allow Iran to get the bomb? Likely not. It's a sliding scale.

Your post needs more classic Brain one-liners :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 09:26:19 AM

I'll go sit in the corner a bit. :Embarrass:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on May 21, 2009, 08:34:03 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2009, 07:42:17 AM
Iran becoming nuclear, which is probably inevitable given the current lack of balls in the west to do *anything* about it, is going to be a disaster.

How do you propose to stop Iran?
He already said how, strike their infrastructure.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 09:26:02 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 09:25:25 AM

QFT.

But it has also been right time and time again.  Just saying.

You only need 1 example to disprove the claim though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Alatriste on May 21, 2009, 07:57:55 AM
Oh, please, save us the rant, Berk...

Way to go straight to the heart of the argument with the ad hom. A nice start to your position.
That's not an ad hom, you fucking retard.  It's like you don't even know how to debate.

I feel sorry for your children, even more than I feel sorry for Hortlund's children, although not as bad as I feel for the children that Siegebreaker has despoiled.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2009, 09:39:50 AM
Iran becoming nuclear, which is probably inevitable given the current lack of balls in the west to do *anything* about it, is going to be a disaster.

I am not sure if the global economy can handle shutting down the straits during the ensuing War, and I am not sure how much influence Iran still has in Basra.  If neither of these are likely to pose problems, then sure, let us attack Iran in the hopes of stalling for time.

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2009, 10:10:03 AM

Way to go straight to the heart of the argument with the ad hom. A nice start to your position.
That's not an ad hom, you fucking retard. 

:yawn:

You're boring Neil.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on May 21, 2009, 11:42:43 AM

I am not sure if the global economy can handle shutting down the straits during the ensuing War, and I am not sure how much influence Iran still has in Basra.  If neither of these are likely to pose problems, then sure, let us attack Iran in the hopes of stalling for time.

Translation: We don't have the balls to do anything.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 09:26:19 AM

Indeed. It kinda' freaked me out to read a long and coherent post from The Brain.

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2009, 12:06:16 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2009, 10:10:03 AM

That's not an ad hom, you fucking retard. 

:yawn:

You're boring Neil.
Perhaps, but I know what an ad hominem is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on May 21, 2009, 11:42:43 AM

Well, obviously you'd have to strike their military first to prevent them from having such capability.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus