Iran test fires missile capable of reaching US bases or Israel

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2009, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm surprised the Israelis haven't launched a preemptive attack yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/20/iran-test-fires-missile-israel
Iran test fires missile capable of reaching US bases or Israel

* Julian Borger Diplomatic Editor
    * guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 May 2009 19.09 BST

Iran test-fired a solid-fuel missile capable of reaching Israel or US bases in the Middle East today, drawing rebukes from western governments and forcing the abrupt cancellation of a diplomatic mission by Italy's foreign minister.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced the launch of the Sajjil-2 surface-to-surface missile in Semnan province, in northern Iran, claiming it landed "precisely on target". The defence minister, Mostafa Mohammad Najjar, said the missile was "equipped with a new navigation system as well as precise and sophisticated sensors".

Western officials confirmed the launch and said the Sajjil appeared to be a two-stage solid-fuel missile with a range of about 1,250 miles (2,000km). The Foreign Office said it "underlines profound concerns about Iran's intentions and sends exactly the wrong signal to the region and the world at a time the international community is trying to engage Iran".

The incident came two days after Barack Obama warned Iran had until the end of the year to respond to his diplomatic overtures and enter into serious, "good faith" negotiations over its nuclear programme. Iran insists the programme is for energy-generation purposes, but the UN security council has demanded Tehran suspend enrichment of uranium on the grounds that Iran has so far failed to convince the international community that its intentions are peaceful.

The launch led to the cancellation of a two-day visit to Iran by Italy's Franco Frattini, who was close to boarding a plane to Tehran when he heard that Ahmadinejad insisted on meeting him in Semnan, the site of the launch.

The minister called off the whole trip, fearing Ahmadinejad would use it as a propaganda coup ahead of presidential elections next month.

The president and three challengers were officially approved today to take part in the vote by the electoral watchdog, the Guardian Council, out of 475 hopefuls.

The planned Frattini visit had been the source of considerable tension within Europe. The British and French governments had urged him not to go, arguing that it would help Ahmadinejad electorally and show a lack of western unity.

An earlier version of the Sajjil was tested in November last year.The Sajjil-2 appears to have a slightly longer range than the prototype. Mark Fitzpatrick, an analyst at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, said the development of the Sajjil missile was significant because of the type of fuel it used, rather than its range.

"To be able to build a solid-fuel missile of medium range represents a significant technological breakthrough," Fitzpatrick said. "It is technically more difficult than a liquid-fuel missile, and militarily more significant because it is not as vulnerable to attack while being fuelled."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 20, 2009, 05:21:50 PM
Why are you surprised they haven't attacked Iran yet?
Once Iran gets the bomb, they're done for.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2009, 05:39:07 PM

What do you think is the risk that Iran nukes Israel once they have enough warheads and delivery systems to do so thoroughly? Gimme a number.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

I wish.
Truth is, nobody in either Israel or the US have the moral fortitud to do the right thing.
Iran will get nukes, and will use them, when they have enough to erase Israel from the map.

Only then, after countless millions are dead, action will be taken.
Nobody in the west is willing to destroy their political carreer to do the right thing.
Its easier to let millions die.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Habsburg

I suggest we kill three birds with 8 ICBMs.

Make Persia glow, fallout to Afganistan, and fallout to NW Pakistan.  :w00t: :mmm:

Razgovory

Just how India was destroyed when Pakistan got the bomb.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2009, 09:01:28 PM

Pakistan isn't ruled by Islamic fanatics... yet.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Habsburg on May 20, 2009, 07:47:48 PM
I suggest we kill three birds with 8 ICBMs.

Make Persia glow, fallout to Afganistan, and fallout to NW Pakistan.  :w00t: :mmm:
MIRV's for teh win!
PDH!

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2009, 09:02:41 PM

What would you call Muhammed Zir ul Haq?

Nuclear war isn't funny.  The loss of Israel and Iran in a nuclear war would be a tragedy greater than all of the wars in recent history combined.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on May 20, 2009, 09:26:45 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2009, 09:02:41 PM

What would you call Muhammed Zir ul Haq?

Nuclear war isn't funny.  The loss of Israel and Iran in a nuclear war would be a tragedy greater than all of the wars in recent history combined.
Did I say it was funny?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Bullshit.  Iran hasn't got the guts.

That is not to say we shouldn't stop them of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."