News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 02:37:18 PM
Now that I think about it, he also had to christen babies and counsel young folks who were thinking of getting married.

I guess he did have alot of shit to do, but none of it seems like 'work' to me, still.  It actually seems like it'd be fun and I'd consider doing it myself if there was a religion out there that expelled everyone once they turned 65.  Pretending to believe in something wouldn't be so tough, I don't think. :cool:

Well he did also have to run mass every day and write an inspiring speech every Sunday though.  That sounds like a pain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 02:27:52 PM
I think he meant to convey, in his own inimitable grably way, that meals on wheels are fairly well known.

Don't worry, it'll disappear soon enough.

Syt

Cal's anecdotes make me want to watch Adam's Apples again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 02:34:58 PM
I'd never heard of it except when I lived in Pennsylvania.  I thought maybe it was a PA thing only.  Maybe people in Massachusetts and Kentucky just don't care about our seniors. :sleep:

Google confirms they have programs in both MA and KY. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2013, 02:40:38 PM
Well he did also have to run mass every day and write an inspiring speech every Sunday though.  That sounds like a pain.
Dude, what?  He was a Lutheran pastor.  Lutherans don't go to church every day.  They go on Sunday, period.  They don't even do that crazyass Wednesday night shit like the Baptists do.

Also, he didn't write a new sermon every Sunday.  He had this mailing list thing with other Lutheran pastors and they all used to exchange sermons with each other.  I would guess he wrote about one new sermon a month, and the rest were some other guy's sermon tweaked to be relevant (e.g. replace "Michigan" with "Pennsylvania" here, replace "St. Paul's Lutheran Church" with "Our Savior Lutheran Church" there, etc.)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 02:44:38 PM
Dude, what?  He was a Lutheran pastor.  Lutherans don't go to church every day.  They go on Sunday, period.  They don't even do that crazyass Wednesday night shit like the Baptists do.

I believe he was, in his own inimitable Valmastic manner, talking about the Papist.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2013, 02:43:05 PM
One time when I was like four, I asked my grandpa if he had a penis.  He said 'If I didn't, you wouldn't be here' and my grandma started cracking up.  They told that story over and over again to everyone else in the family, and he somehow managed to work that into one of his sermons even.  That's not one of his that I managed to hear, fortunately. :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 02:46:39 PM
I believe he was, in his own inimitable Valmastic manner, talking about the Papist.
I don't care about that guy anymore.  It's all about Cal now.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 02:46:40 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2013, 02:43:05 PM
One time when I was like four, I asked my grandpa if he had a penis.  He said 'If I didn't, you wouldn't be here' and my grandma started cracking up.  They told that story over and over again to everyone else in the family, and he somehow managed to work that into one of his sermons even.  That's not one of his that I managed to hear, fortunately. :cool:

"So, how was Church today?"

"Same old, same old. The pastor's going on about his penis in the sermon again."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I'm kind of curious how he managed to do it and manage to not be fired by the congregation. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 02:47:08 PM
I don't care about that guy anymore.  It's all about Cal now.

Tell us again about the time your butt exploded.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 02:44:38 PM

Sorry dude I thought we were talking about the Austrian bigot priest guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Is Cal ever going to stop remembering extra things his grandpa did ?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 02:46:39 PM

I have an inimitable Valmastic manner? :blush:

Admiral Yi