News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Praying is dialogue directed at God.  You can't pray unless you believe God exists.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 11:59:11 AM
God no wonder we have crazy protestant fundies here in the US. Catholic Church sounds worse than Church of England/Unitarians as at least those latter two groups are a bit more honest with their charade.

Disagreeing with protestant fundies' views on religion does not mean you are a charade.  Man they have brainwashed everybody, it drives me nuts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Francis is taking the job at the right time, if he wants to take advantage. He has the opportunity to keep opposition to abortion, women from any kind of leadership position, and opposition to same sex marriage, but still come across as a major progressive reformer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 12:39:18 PM
Praying is dialogue directed at God.  You can't pray unless you believe God exists.

So all those Catholics praying for intercession from a Saint aren't doing it right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 11:51:48 AM
Marti lacks the courage of his convictions.

He's a lawyer, he has no convictions.

(wonder if BB can resist making the obvious pun  :P)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 12:47:05 PM
So all those Catholics praying for intercession from a Saint aren't doing it right?

You're splitting hairs.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 12:41:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 11:59:11 AM
God no wonder we have crazy protestant fundies here in the US. Catholic Church sounds worse than Church of England/Unitarians as at least those latter two groups are a bit more honest with their charade.

Disagreeing with protestant fundies' views on religion does not mean you are a charade.  Man they have brainwashed everybody, it drives me nuts.

I think it is a charade if you don't believe in the god that is a significant part of your holy trinity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 16, 2013, 01:36:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2013, 10:16:19 PM
This shouldn't really be an issue anyway, because Law should be in prison in the United States. <_<
Yeah. Boohoo, the Pope gives cold shoulder to a criminal who has a cushion retirement in the church.

The low standards the catholic church is measured against over these things reminds me of an old joke about why Stalin is the most charitable man in the world for giving a candy bar to a starving kid who asked for food - because he could have ordered the kid executed instead.
So... raping children is good, but covering it up is bad?

You're a weird dude.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 12:53:56 PM

You're splitting hairs.

Not really.  Buddhists also pray and a god is not always a part of their religion.  Besides that is ridiculous, obviously you can pray regardless of what you believe.  You just sit down and start praying.  What you believe about your prayers is a separate issue.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 01:30:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 12:53:56 PM

You're splitting hairs.

Not really.  Buddhists also pray and a god is not always a part of their religion.  Besides that is ridiculous, obviously you can pray regardless of what you believe.  You just sit down and start praying.  What you believe about your prayers is a separate issue.

I think it sounds like an odd practice to say "I'm a Christian but I don't believe in God". :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 01:30:21 PM
Not really.  Buddhists also pray and a god is not always a part of their religion. 

Minayana Buddhists don't pray, they chant while meditating.  Hinayana Buddhists do pray because they've deified Buddha. it might be the other way around.

QuoteBesides that is ridiculous, obviously you can pray regardless of what you believe.  You just sit down and start praying.  What you believe about your prayers is a separate issue.

Not much that I can respond to here.

Martinus

Prayer in Catholicism can be a form of meditation - just ask Jesuits.

Admiral Yi

I'm willing to bet I'm the only one here who's ever smoked ganja with a Jesuit.  :ccr

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 01:39:04 PM
Minayana Buddhists don't pray, they chant while meditating.  Hinayana Buddhists do pray because they've deified Buddha. it might be the other way around.

Fairly often I hear prayer referred to as a form of meditation :P

For me personally it is a practice of gratitude, I thank God for everything that is good in my life.  The fact I do not really care whether or not God exists has never even occured to me as an issue actually.  As far as I am concerned I am good either way.  If I did the exact same thing but felt that faith in the existance of God was really important and did indeed aspire to that faith would that actually change what it is I am doing?  The whole grace and blessing part of it feels pretty real on a spiritual level.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 01:39:04 PM
Not much that I can respond to here.

Sorry I guess I was having a hard time wrapping my head around valid and non-valid prayer.  I mean that concept certainly exists inside certain theological frameworks but outside?  I probably could have stated that better.