News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2013, 10:16:19 PM
This shouldn't really be an issue anyway, because Law should be in prison in the United States. <_<

Yeah. Boohoo, the Pope gives cold shoulder to a criminal who has a cushion retirement in the church.

The low standards the catholic church is measured against over these things reminds me of an old joke about why Stalin is the most charitable man in the world for giving a candy bar to a starving kid who asked for food - because he could have ordered the kid executed instead.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Very nice, moving inauguration homily. No word about the church being a "besieged fortress", no condemnation of liberals and non-believers, just a call to help the week and the poor, as well as some subtle environmentalist hints.

I hope this Pope says gays are the spawn of Satan soon, as I am dangerously close to relapsing.  <_<

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 08:06:04 AM
I hope this Pope says gays are the spawn of Satan soon, as I am dangerously close to relapsing.  <_<

Get yourself to church, boy.  A little communion'll do ya some good.  It's good, and it's good fer ya! :pope: :brimley:

garbon

So odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 08:19:27 AM

So odd.

You can take the gay out of Poland, but you can't take Poland out of the gay.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 08:20:47 AM

So odd.

Non-catholics will never get that.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 08:29:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 08:20:47 AM

So odd.

Non-catholics will never get that.

Never get what exactly though? I mean I've heard this notion that once you are a Catholic, you are always one - but I'm not sure why going to church would have a draw for you if they went neutral on gay issues...unless that's the only bit you take exception with and are actually all about God and the saints and what have you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

For people raised in Catholic countries, Catholicism is not just religion, but an integral part of your culture. A lot of Catholics also go to church and participate in religious ceremonies despite disagreeing with the official church doctrine not just on social issues, but often on points of religious doctrine (e.g. you may have people who consider themselves Catholics, but believe in reincarnation or think that hell does not exist).

Does it help to explain what I was talking about?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 09:29:17 AM
For people raised in Catholic countries, Catholicism is not just religion, but an integral part of your culture. A lot of Catholics also go to church and participate in religious ceremonies despite disagreeing with the official church doctrine not just on social issues, but often on points of religious doctrine (e.g. you may have people who consider themselves Catholics, but believe in reincarnation or think that hell does not exist).

No not really as it doesn't answer my main question or rather skirts it. Are you saying that you believe in God and the saints but just have some exceptions to official doctrine with their stance on gays being a major stumbling block?

Liep

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 09:42:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 09:29:17 AM

No not really as it doesn't answer my main question or rather skirts it. Are you saying that you believe in God and the saints but just have some exceptions to official doctrine with their stance on gays being a major stumbling block?
I think what he's saying is that he could support the catholic church again, if they changed stance on looking at him like the devil. Not necessarily beginning to believe in God again, but just as in being part of that thing Poles do and have done for centuries.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Yeah. The concept that you have to actively believe in God to be religious is more of a Protestant thing than a Catholic thing - it was Luther was said that faith is a prerequisite to salvation.

Being Catholic is more about ritual and observance than actual faith. It's the closest thing Christianity has come up with to Judaism. :P

Admiral Yi

Actually it was either Paul or Timothy that said salvation comes from faith.  :pope: