News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When buying a used car in the USA...

Started by merithyn, February 07, 2013, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

... what is the most amount you'd pay over Kelley Blue Book value?

1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-20%
>20%
Zero over - they get book value or they get nothing

katmai

I wish Meri the best of luck but yeah heard horror stories on maintenance track record for the PT.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

I think all American cars have gone with that cab-forward, huge wheel base, mongo turning radius design.  I believe it's a cheap way to decrease weight without increasing flip overs.  I drove a loaner Taurus the other day that turned like a supertanker.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2013, 11:37:54 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 13, 2013, 06:45:18 AM
They're made by Chrysler, for one.  Also, they look stupid and, like the Liberty, have a bad reliability rep.  Also, IIRC they have low safety ratings.

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 13, 2013, 11:07:34 AM
:( hope it was well taken care of.

Edmunds Review - Reliability
Edmunds Review - Safety

:hmm:

Seem you guys have out-dated information. The 2009 is reliable and safe. I also have no problem with how they look.
I looked it up in Consumer Reports.  The good news is that 2009 model seems to be more reliable than earlier years.  The bad news, is, well...

DGuller

Wow, I just took a look around Edmunds, and it looks like they sold out big time.  Either their reliability numbers are bogus, or they're compiled in a meaningless way.  Every car I picked at random had five out of five dots for reliability rating.  Then, as an extreme test, I wanted to see how they would rate Range Rover, the king of the last place of every car reliability survey known to man.  It got five out of five dots.  :hmm:

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2013, 12:24:04 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2013, 12:19:33 PM
Dude, I've been dying my hair brown for the last decade or longer. You couldn't have seen it when it was red. Well, unless you happened to catch me when I dyed it red on the odd occasion. My hair hasn't been it's natural color in ages! :lol:

Your story keeps changing, stalker girl.

Have you already ordered your jester hat? 

Come to think of it, which of you two got their boy toy first?  :hmm:

Today is our 8th anniversary... and he introduced me to Languish. Back then, B was still married to Piss-Pot Face, sooo... me.  :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2013, 12:51:16 PM

You'll know when she's finally assumed Brazen's identity when her defense industry articles refer to "drone thingies".

:lol:

That about sums it up, yes. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2013, 11:19:31 AM
Quote from: Scipio on February 13, 2013, 07:49:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Blue Book is just a guide and is going to vary a lot regionally.

If you think they're asking too much, shop around and look for comparables.  That'll be more helpful to you than pointing to blue book.

And hey, something to watch out for.  I have a file recently where people were stealing vehicles, getting a VIN number for a valid vehicle, then re-VINning the stolen vehicle with a new, cloned VIN.  I have a couple of innocent buyers who took out loans for their trucks, only to have the vehicle seized from them as stolen property and still be stuck paying the loan.
That last problem's not a risk here.  UCC and MVTA FTW.

How is that not a risk?

You can do the responsible thing and get a search of the VIN, but because the VIN has been cloned the search comes back as clean.
Innocent purchaser, buyer in due course.  The car cannot be taken from you.  If it is, you cannot be forced to pay the note for a car that you do not own due to someone else's illegal actions.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Scip, I thought the title for stolen property was void under the UCC, therefore the seller has no power to transfer title (also no right, but this isn't important).

I do think the recourse for the lender would be to recover from the seller, not the purchaser.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on February 13, 2013, 08:36:16 PM
Scip, I thought the title for stolen property was void under the UCC, therefore the seller has no power to transfer title (also no right, but this isn't important).

I do think the recourse for the lender would be to recover from the seller, not the purchaser.
My point is that an innocent third party is not liable to the lender, and probably cannot be deprived of the vehicle.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt