News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When buying a used car in the USA...

Started by merithyn, February 07, 2013, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

... what is the most amount you'd pay over Kelley Blue Book value?

1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-20%
>20%
Zero over - they get book value or they get nothing

Caliga

First a Jeep Liberty, then a PT Cruiser? :huh:  It's like Meri is trying to get the worst car imaginable. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

LaCroix

as someone who knows nothing about cars, what's wrong with a PT cruiser?

Caliga

They're made by Chrysler, for one.  Also, they look stupid and, like the Liberty, have a bad reliability rep.  Also, IIRC they have low safety ratings.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Thought they were bought by ricers who couldn't afford a Honda.  Or the gangsta subtype.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 04:00:58 PM
Everything I've read about car quality states that in the last 15 years or so American makers have closed the quality gap and buyers are in effect paying an unwarranted premium for non-American brands.

This is true;  the days of American planned obsolescence, low quality steel and other substandard practices are pretty much gone.  Unfortunately, nothing lends itself to generational brand loyalty than cars.  Granddad was a General Motors man, and that made Dad a General Motors man, etc.

With the exception of poor design (such as underpowered engines) I'm a firm believer that, if you take care of a car properly it will take care of you, regardless of make or price point.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Blue Book is just a guide and is going to vary a lot regionally.

If you think they're asking too much, shop around and look for comparables.  That'll be more helpful to you than pointing to blue book.

And hey, something to watch out for.  I have a file recently where people were stealing vehicles, getting a VIN number for a valid vehicle, then re-VINning the stolen vehicle with a new, cloned VIN.  I have a couple of innocent buyers who took out loans for their trucks, only to have the vehicle seized from them as stolen property and still be stuck paying the loan.
That last problem's not a risk here.  UCC and MVTA FTW.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on February 13, 2013, 07:49:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Blue Book is just a guide and is going to vary a lot regionally.

If you think they're asking too much, shop around and look for comparables.  That'll be more helpful to you than pointing to blue book.

And hey, something to watch out for.  I have a file recently where people were stealing vehicles, getting a VIN number for a valid vehicle, then re-VINning the stolen vehicle with a new, cloned VIN.  I have a couple of innocent buyers who took out loans for their trucks, only to have the vehicle seized from them as stolen property and still be stuck paying the loan.
That last problem's not a risk here.  UCC and MVTA FTW.

How is that not a risk?

You can do the responsible thing and get a search of the VIN, but because the VIN has been cloned the search comes back as clean.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on February 13, 2013, 06:45:18 AM
They're made by Chrysler, for one.  Also, they look stupid and, like the Liberty, have a bad reliability rep.  Also, IIRC they have low safety ratings.

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 13, 2013, 11:07:34 AM
:( hope it was well taken care of.

Edmunds Review - Reliability
Edmunds Review - Safety

:hmm:

Seem you guys have out-dated information. The 2009 is reliable and safe. I also have no problem with how they look.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Please report on how fast it's falling apart/holding up.

Your the first person I know to buy a PT Cruiser.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

2nd.  Brazen has one.

Meri, are you turning into Brazen's internet stalker fangirl? :hmm:

merithyn

She does? Didn't know.

We bought it because it fit our criteria, not because we set out to buy one. It works, it's the right price, and it has the right amount of room. *shrugs* It's a car, for heaven's sake, not a child.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Are you thinking about dying your hair red?  :ph34r:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2013, 11:47:39 AM
2nd.  Brazen has one.

Meri, are you turning into Brazen's internet stalker fangirl? :hmm:

Oh that's right! But often can she drive it in London? Plus you know, no real winter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.