News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When buying a used car in the USA...

Started by merithyn, February 07, 2013, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

... what is the most amount you'd pay over Kelley Blue Book value?

1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-20%
>20%
Zero over - they get book value or they get nothing

merithyn

We're looking to buy a used car, and I'm not pleased with the price mark-up over the Kelley Blue Book price. Right now, the dealer it going for a 25% mark-up, which seems ridiculously excessive to me. I plan to counter-offer at closer to 10% over KBB.

What's considered reasonable for a dealer to mark-up? I know it's whatever the market will bear, but I'm wondering what you, personally, would pay.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Blue Book is just a guide and is going to vary a lot regionally.

If you think they're asking too much, shop around and look for comparables.  That'll be more helpful to you than pointing to blue book.

And hey, something to watch out for.  I have a file recently where people were stealing vehicles, getting a VIN number for a valid vehicle, then re-VINning the stolen vehicle with a new, cloned VIN.  I have a couple of innocent buyers who took out loans for their trucks, only to have the vehicle seized from them as stolen property and still be stuck paying the loan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Blue Book is just a guide and is going to vary a lot regionally.

If you think they're asking too much, shop around and look for comparables.  That'll be more helpful to you than pointing to blue book.

That's why I asked what amount you'd be willing to pay over that amount. Since it's, you know, a good guide to go by. :)

QuoteAnd hey, something to watch out for.  I have a file recently where people were stealing vehicles, getting a VIN number for a valid vehicle, then re-VINning the stolen vehicle with a new, cloned VIN.  I have a couple of innocent buyers who took out loans for their trucks, only to have the vehicle seized from them as stolen property and still be stuck paying the loan.

Thanks! This is through a dealer with a huge face in our town, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem there. If so, we have some recourse as it's not an individual but a BBB-card carrying business with a physical presence. Hopefully, anyway.

Brazen

The British equivalent Parkers has different prices for whether you're buying privately, from a dealer or part exchange, and for the condition of the vehicle. The initial price is always negotiable. Decide how much you're prepared to pay and initially offer 10% below that and be prepared to haggle. Your ultimate weapon is, "Oh, I was hoping to pay XXX" and start walking out.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

What ever he paid + 3%.

That's what I got for my new car.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Brazen has a good point.  Blue Book might be a better guide to private party sales.  Dealers need *some* kind of mark up to amortize inventory costs, fixed costs, labor, etc.

OttoVonBismarck

I just buy new now, but I've read in the Wall Street Journal that the long economic stagnation has lead to more people than ever before buying used instead of new, which has lead to the discount for buying used versus buying new being at all time lows.

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on February 07, 2013, 10:21:56 AM
The British equivalent Parkers has different prices for whether you're buying privately, from a dealer or part exchange, and for the condition of the vehicle. The initial price is always negotiable. Decide how much you're prepared to pay and initially offer 10% below that and be prepared to haggle. You're ultimate weapon is, "Oh, I was hoping to pay XXX" and start walking out.

That's my plan of action. :)

And Kelley Blue Book does the same. The price that I'm willing to pay is no more than 10% over the KBB price for a vehicle in similar condition, same miles, and sold by a dealer. I'm okay with a mark-up, but not a 25% mark-up.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 10:27:05 AM
Brazen has a good point.  Blue Book might be a better guide to private party sales.  Dealers need *some* kind of mark up to amortize inventory costs, fixed costs, labor, etc.

Sure, but you know they paid well below the kbb retail price for it.  I would think a rule of thumb would be to look up the dealer trade-in value for the car in question and knock maybe 10% off that to figure out what they paid.

But hell, sometimes they're willing to take a loss on something just to get rid of it. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Hmmm, I generally would not pay over KBB at all.

Have you checked Edmunds?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on February 07, 2013, 10:51:10 AM
Hmmm, I generally would not pay over KBB at all.

Have you checked Edmunds?

KBB lists it at ~$10,000
Edmunds lists it at ~$10,500

Trade-in value:
KBB lists it at $7800
Edmunds lists it at $8000

Overall, the price of $13,100 is way over priced, imo.

Brazen

Turn up with those priced ringed it red to show them you've done your research and tell them you won't pay over that.

Darth Wagtaros

I briefly looked at cars last week when I was told the estimates to repair my present car.  I fucking hate dealers.  Decided to fix my car and just keep it another year or so. 
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

These things seem to vary by region significantly. The dealers where I live generally sell cars a bit under blue book.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers